how many gallons

hopefully this wont end up like a disaster or me and esa193 or just drop it like we often do. hopefully no explosions either :)

haha yeah that wouldn't be good.

Also could you lower your sig length please? The max is 5.

yea sorry about that, i forgot about the limit when i was making my sig. and yea that would defiantly not be good, especially if we already bought the oil.

FYI guys, way back when me and my friend casey (Mr. Feesh) did a VERY similar project in oil cooling. We got a big tub, filled it with oil, and put the computer in it. I just want to let you guys know that you need a system to move the oil around the case pretty well or else it will simply continue to heat up until it melts. You will have to find some fans or something to circulate the oil (or whatever substance you use) around to keep the temperatures low or reasonable. If you would like to get some more information from me about it feel free to PM me.

Here is the link to the thread about the oil cooled computer my friend and I worked on:
http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=27478

Yeah that's what I was going to mention. It will work for a while, I would make sure to make as many components in there passive cooled, as those obviously don't generate quite as much heat as to need tons of air moving over it. In addition you will develop warm spots and without circulating the oil through a sink of some sort, the heat will not really go anywhere. I have seen it done and it is a very cool idea, I just don't have the extra system needed to do it with or the desire to dunk a PC in oil.

But yeah, if you do it and it's reliable, props. It'll be something to be proud of.

well its an old p3 how much heat could it make?
also if it brakes i really dont care its for fun
also im only going to be running it for a bit

kk if you use mineral oil then order more than you need , so say it comes in 5 gallons and you need 10 , order 15 gallons in case you spill some or misestimated

why don't you measure the interior dimensions of a case and just use a simple volume formula? I assume it's a prism shape on the inside. If you could take out all the metal contents, you could even weigh them and look up the approximate density of the stainless steel to figure out how much of the volume the hard drive/cd trays take up, but that is even a little overkill.

well its an old p3 how much heat could it make?
also if it brakes i really dont care its for fun
also im only going to be running it for a bit
p3 will generate heat, not a lot or very fast, but it does build up. Once it builds up it continues to get too hot until it overheats.

What fun would it be to only run the computer for an hour or two? Wouldn't you at least want to run it for a day minimum? Take my advice, the cleanup takes a good bit of work. If you are going to do this you should try and make the system usable for a good amount of time.

Back
Top Bottom