How long do keyboards last?

CastletonSnob

Baseband Member
I have a Microsoft 600 keyboard, which I've had for a couple of years now, and I was wondering how long keyboards last.

It also depends on how well they were made. I have an IBM Model M keyboard that came with an IBM computer that I bought in 1986. That keyboard has been used daily since then and still works as if it was brand new. I've also had inexpensive keyboards where 1 or 2 keys stopped working after a few months use.

^^^ This.

My wife is still using the keyboard that came with our old eMachine we bought in 2002 or 4.

Older keyboards switches (the keys) were quite substantial mechanical switches. Everybody supplies rubbish now made in China. These use conductive paint for the contacts usually and the conductive paint wears away so the Chinese rubbish does not last long. Made in America (or Britain) yeah right supplied maybe but more often than not rebranded rubbish made in China.

Both of my cheap no name Amazon bought boards with Chinese mechanical switches have now lasted me 5 years, my G710+ has lasted me 7, My CODE 6, my Compaq membrane over 15, and the only 2 keyboards that actually died on me was a Razer Lycosa that my ex dumped a latte on and my Fatal1ty keyboard I spilled Dr Pepper on. Rule of thumb, if you take care of it it'll last.

It really depends on what the keyboard is made of. Common keyboards (like the Microsoft 600) typically use a rubber sheet which inevitably leads to some wear off after a few years. That doesn't mean it will be broken, but it won't feel like a new keyboard anymore. That's one of the reasons, many computer enthusiasts prefer mechanical keyboards. As explained here, they use mechanical springs instead which usually last for a very long time, provided you treat your keyboard good.

I also have an ancient IBM keyboard and that thing is built like a tank. My current KB just started acting up, some keys do not work unless I have to really slam them down. This is a Logitech k740 and I've had it for about 6 or 7 yrs now. I might try taking it apart and putting it in the dishwasher to see if that helps or possibly something obvious will show up when I dissemble it.

Got mine back in the XP days. mid 80's i guess. Its a Dell or Hp, i can't remember. Still works great. I only wish my fingers worked as well...

Back
Top Bottom