Status
Not open for further replies.

metrosomething

Solid State Member
hey i was just wondering how long did it take you to learn c++

not really master it but learn it

lets say you were able to write a simple program without help

thanks

Well,you can learn to write a "hello-world" program in 10 minutes.But really learning the language can take up to years.It depends on the person,how fast you can learn,and of course how much you study it.

Have to better define simple. If you're talking Hello World simple, half a minute... Learning a language is an ongoing process of picking up syntax to implement concepts.

yeah i kinda figure that ...thanks.
i just wanted to know...how well did you understand c++...after a month or two

I don't know if other people would agree, but I don't think someone new to programming (as you've said you are) can sit down and study one language and say 'I understand about x% of C++' after n months. You should be more concerned with understanding programming concepts rather than syntax. To answer your question, after a month of studying the basics of C++ you might know about its data structures, class construction, inheritance, exception handling, etc. Whether you can write anything useful at that point is up to you.

there is a book called 'learn c++ in 21 days' that i have for uni, that is pretty useful.. would be pretty intensive to go through it in 21 days, but possible... i use it as more of a referance :D

foolsdelyte said:
Learning a language is an ongoing process of picking up syntax to implement concepts.

I don't think it's much of an ongoing process. You do need to learn the syntax, but more importantly, as you said, implementing concepts, design, flow, etc...

A strong foundation lies in if you can correctly map out what you want to do, ONLY then do you implement it with proper syntax.

I think after a while you finish learning the language. There's really no more constructs that you can learn - there are a finite number of them.

How much you can do with the language after 2 months depends on you.. Learning C++ is not enough - should learn about design patterns too. Otherwise, it will be really bad code :D

It depends. For me, at that point, I could write minor apps, but the code structure was pretty poor. The code was all jumbled up and inefficient. At some point, you should work on making your code more coherent and able to flow smoothly. Pick up a book or two, they will teach you how to make your code better. I recommend Big C++, and Learn C++ in 21 Days. DON'T pick up Learn C++ in 24 HOURS. just don't. Most important of all, HAVE FUN!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom