How Is This System?? Advice

abland007

Baseband Member
Hey guys, any advice would be great. i have the option to buy a new computer with the following components and was wondering if this would be a decent computer to play games like Countstrike/ Burn cds and DVS and surf the web.

Pentium D 915 Dual Core @ 2.8ghz

Gigabyte brand Mother Board- not positive on the model, but I dont think you can OC this board-- not positive though

1 gig ddr2 533mhz RAM

160 gb seagate 7200 rps SATA

Ge Force 7950 512MB Graphics card-

500 watt power supply

I would love any suggestions on what you guys think of this set up. I dont want to waste my money. Mainly I was wondering how good the CPU is. I know the graphics card is good but I want to know how much better the Pentium D is compared to my Pentium 4 2.27ghz that I currently have. Is this system already outdated?

Thanks in advance

I was trying to spend about 800-900 bucks on the whole thing. I dont need a crazy fast CPU because I will mostly be playing games and watching tv/dvd on it. Is the Pentium D any good? How is the video card I mentioned?

Thanks

$250- vid card
$120 CPU
$100 mother board
$100 ddr2 ram
$100 case with power supply
$100 Hard drive
$50 dvd drive

thats about what I can afford

I was also wondering how the pentium 4 2.27 single core performed compared to a Pentium D Dual 2.8

abland007 said:
I was also wondering how the pentium 4 2.27 single core performed compared to a Pentium D Dual 2.8

well it's slower, and it has only 1 physical core. So the pentium D will be quite much better, at least with multitasking. It's a pretty good deal for $90.
And it will be enough for what you are doing.

DVD RW $29.99 Hell of a deal! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131038

320gb sata HD $99.99 If you only want 160gb you can get one alot cheaper
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136053

CPU Intel core 2 duo e6300 $181 I know its over your budget but with the money you would save on the DVD player and if you drop down the HD theres your $70 difference. Much better cpu even if it is there base model core 2 duo. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115005

So I take it that you are not a fan of the Pentium D's? I heard that they are supposed to be for gaming. My buddy has a year old AMD 64 3800 that runs games real well for being a single core chip. Is the Pent D better than that chip. The 3800 plays games great and is fast IMO. Do you know how they would compare?

Thanks Man@

Well the FSB is faster on the core2duo. I know it doesn't make much sense the 1.86ghz core2duo is faster than a 2.8ghz pentium d but its in the archatecture. Plus the core2duo's are great overclockers. I'm betting you can get that chip between 2.4-2.8ghz possibly more. Not really familiar with the baseline model not sure how well it works for overclocking. Read a review were they had the e6600 2.4ghz overclocked to a 4.05ghz with only changing to a high preformance fan.

Back
Top Bottom