How hot should a GPU be under load?

superman22x

Golden Master
I OC'd my 7900gs a lil more with ntune, and its running at 74 in crysis after a big battle. Is that good temps?

Sorry, I'm sure something like this has been asked before...

I am on stock cooling BTW, but I have the asus 7900gs which is already OC'd a lot. Mine came 590/720, and it is the fastest 7900gs factory made. I have it at 600/810. Maybe my en7900gs has a better heatsink than others factory. But, is 75ish good temp under load? Seems a little high.

I have an 8800GTS, and my idle temp is 52 degrees C, so when running, it gets to about 75-85 degrees C.
Its normal for a video card to get hot anyway so nothing to worry about :)

8800's threshold is 100c+

GPU's are able to be able to take lots more heat than CPU's. you should be fine.

Check out the Evga forums and ask. You can't compare tolerance's between totally different designs. Some chips are designed to run really hot and some are not. Just download Riva tuner and turn up the fan speed to drop the temps. With my 8800GTS at 100% fan speed I get around 45-48C Idling and about 62-65C loaded in Crysis.

Ok, will do. I was thinking about doing the vmod, but... Not a good idea with stock cooling I think, lol. I am getting rid of it in a month or 2 so I can get an 8800gt anyway. But for now, I want to get a couple extra frames, and so far it worked well for those couple extra frames.

Hmm, I have a bunch of stuff running, including crysis in the background, but I just noticed, everest ultimate says my CPU is at 44, but each core is in the mid 50s. That does seem too high. I dont have stock cooling, maybe something is too high.

Ok, I have it overclocked with rivatuner, and I have it set for performance 3d. So, will it only run at those clocks when I start an application like crysis up? Or will it always run at that speed? And should I set it to set clocks at windows startup?

Ok, I have it overclocked with rivatuner, and I have it set for performance 3d. So, will it only run at those clocks when I start an application like crysis up? Or will it always run at that speed? And should I set it to set clocks at windows startup?

if you left the 2d alone then it will run with stock clock speeds when in windows, and then when you start an 3d application (for example crysis) it will start using those performance 3d settings.
And I have the 'set clocks at windows startup' on, though if you didn't change the 2d settings then I'm not sure if this matters.

Ok, thats what I did, and its running at those higher settings now tho, not sure why. I set it for performance 3d.

Ok, thats what I did, and its running at those higher settings now tho, not sure why. I set it for performance 3d.

well you said that you overclocked with ntune too. So better make sure that ntune isn't telling the card to run at those higher speeds all the time.

Back
Top Bottom