How Hard Was It Getting Your First Job

I think your location explains why you are having trouble gaining employment as to limited options compared to the mainland.... best of luck...
I last visited Tassie 3 years ago and looking forward to come back in the next couple of years.... A beautiful place indeed if you like out doors activities.

Are you looking to work in the morning, afternoon or evening? I've gotten more response when I put myself down for all three time slots with the agencies.

How hard it is to land a job varies greatly due to you and your skills, economy, geography, etc...

My first job was easy to get. I was 12 yrs old and applied for a job picking blueberries at a farm. I got hired but only lasted about 3 weeks since I found out it was hard work out in the hot sun!

Getting a job also depends on how picky you are. My philosophy has always been that, if I'm out of work and have no income, I will work most any job in order to start bringing in some money. Once I have a source of income, then I can keep searching for the "perfect" job.

I'm a software engineer but when I was laid off from my job back in 2002, I took a job at Radio Shack. I made far less money but it kept me busy and employed. I eventually found another job as a software engineer and moved on. Many of my friends and coworkers refused to take such a lowly job and held out until they could find a similar job as the one they were laid off from. Some were unemployed for 2 years or more (10 months for me). If I would never have found another job as a software engineer, I would have made a second career at RS or some other place.

I can't speak for Australia but in the US, there are jobs available. Unfortunately, the jobs are low paying, mostly in retail, and many refuse to work at jobs that are "below" them.

Uncle Sam was very accommodating. Room and board with clothes thrown in. Free travel. And lots of neat toys to play with... I had to put up with some bitchy management but with what I get back today it was a minor annoyance.

I lucked out with all 5 of the jobs I've ever had.

I got hired to be a delivery driver on the spot. My wife worked at a gas station/pizza place and I was there talking to her one day and the manager walked in and I asked if he needed another delivery driver, he asked if I knew my way around town, I did and he said when can you start, and I started the next day.

While I was working there, I started in the factory my dad works at. Went through the interview process but they only needed summer help and they always hire college kids that are the sons/daughters of the other employees so it was pretty much a gurantee.

Then I applied for a postition as a security personal at a deptmart store. My wife was working there as well and after the interview process the head lady said I wouldn't be able to work there with my wife there, but her mom (the head security lady's) was hiring at a call support center and I interviewed so well she told her mom to pretty much hire me. I did the interview, but more as a formality and got in there.

Those were all my summer/part time jobs. My first "real" job was right out of college, I did the interview for a little computer repair store and he pretty much hired me on the spot as well. Actually we had to wait for about 3 days so I could graduate before I started working.

Then I got the job I'm at now, same interview process, got selected for the 2nd interview, and then got the offer a few days after that.

To be honest, I've been really lucky and haven't really had a hard time at all. I've only not gotten 1 job that I've applied for (that was the first time I applied for the job I'm at now a year or so before I actually got hired).

I got my first job off work Experience when I was 15 doing a bit of cleaning work for a garden centre and then moved on to servral stores and finally got a job in computers that I wanted to do but it did not come with out hard work you have to put your cv everywhere and keep trying I did volunteer work at my local citizens Advice Bauru this helped me gain the skills and experience to move on and do better things and is always good on a cv keep in there and you will find something mabe do some local work and networking is key get your fingers in every pie and something will turn up keep stong and good luck.

Kind Regards

My first summer job was fruit picking. It was nice but it was really exhausting! My uncle worked there, and he got me the job.

I walked into the place and asked for an application. The manager immediately was interested in me so I guess they were needing people. After two interviews I was hired. This was before the US economy went completely to crap. Over 5 years later I still have the same job and will continue with the same job until I get my degree and apply for a real job. I had applied for another job and I might have gotten that one too, but after the first interview I didn't like the person that would be my superior, so I decided to go with the other job.

Back
Top Bottom