How do you pronounce "router"

It's r-o-u-t-e not r-u-t-e, therefore comparing it to run / rune doesn't help anything.

And we quoted multiple dictionary references, its not an "Americanism".

Anyway idc how you pronounce it, I was merely stating the proper way to, for anybody curious.

actually it does matter.
it's the E that changes the primary vould sound.

run/rune r-Uh-n/roon
shin/shine sh-I-n/sh-eye-n
rout/route r-ou-t/root

I'm aware that americans pronouce route rowte anyway.

also...
of the dictionaries that you referenced...
merrian webster - American dictionary, (oddly enough containing americanised pronouciations and dialect), even with this, definition 2 for en electronic device lists the pronoucniation as sounding like rude-er
(which as I said dropping the 'T' is just sloppy pronouciation

dictionary.com agrees with what I said.
routâ‹…er
1  /ˈraʊtər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rou-ter] Show IPA
Use router in a Sentence
See web results for router
See images of router
–noun
1. any of various tools or machines for routing, hollowing out, or furrowing.

routâ‹…er
2  /ˈrutər, ˈraʊ-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [roo-ter, rou-] Show IPA
–noun
a person or thing that routes.

the last entry that disagrees is from the american herritage dictionary, again an american dictionary containing americanisms and amirican dialect.

in general terms if you talk about the wood working device it will be r-ou-T-er
if you talk about the electronic device it will be r-oo-ter

at least that's if you were to pronouce it in recieved english, which is generally accepted as the proper way to speak words.

if your dialect is differnt then that's fine. I don't really care how you say it.
but you really shouldn't be telling people that your regional dialect is the proper pronouciation when it's clearly not.

as for the idea that the electronic device is so different from the person who routes things, where do you suppose that the device that routes packets, (much like a person might route packets and shipments) takes it's name from?
exactly, and it's pronounced the same as well.

actually it does matter.
it's the E that changes the primary vould sound.

run/rune r-Uh-n/roon
shin/shine sh-I-n/sh-eye-n
rout/route r-ou-t/root

I'm aware that americans pronouce route rowte anyway.

also...
of the dictionaries that you referenced...
merrian webster - American dictionary, (oddly enough containing americanised pronouciations and dialect), even with this, definition 2 for en electronic device lists the pronoucniation as sounding like rude-er
(which as I said dropping the 'T' is just sloppy pronouciation

dictionary.com agrees with what I said.
routâ‹…er
1  /ˈraʊtər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rou-ter] Show IPA
Use router in a Sentence
See web results for router
See images of router
–noun
1. any of various tools or machines for routing, hollowing out, or furrowing.

routâ‹…er
2  /ˈrutər, ˈraʊ-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [roo-ter, rou-] Show IPA
–noun
a person or thing that routes.

the last entry that disagrees is from the american herritage dictionary, again an american dictionary containing americanisms and amirican dialect.

in general terms if you talk about the wood working device it will be r-ou-T-er
if you talk about the electronic device it will be r-oo-ter

at least that's if you were to pronouce it in recieved english, which is generally accepted as the proper way to speak words.

if your dialect is differnt then that's fine. I don't really care how you say it.
but you really shouldn't be telling people that your regional dialect is the proper pronouciation when it's clearly not.

as for the idea that the electronic device is so different from the person who routes things, where do you suppose that the device that routes packets, (much like a person might route packets and shipments) takes it's name from?
exactly, and it's pronounced the same as well.

Clearly you haven't even read the posts in this thread (everything you mentioned has already been covered), so I see no reason to continue this debate.

Clearly you haven't even read the posts in this thread (everything you mentioned has already been covered), so I see no reason to continue this debate.

actually I did read the posts.

it is router,
from the word route, (that rhymes with boot)

to be fair even the pronunciation guide on the merrian-webster on-line dictionary that you posted (entry 2 referring to the networking device) agrees.

the only exception is that they say it with an American accent, which seems to have taken great offence to the letter T hence they say roooder where-as I personally, if speaking with received pronunciation would not drop the letter Tee.

so I did read the posts, I read your references, (clearly better than you did as they prove you wrong!).

it is router,

this may be the most retarded thread in the history of teh interwebs, and now "I" feel the need to post something, my God, what is the world coming to...?

route is not always pronounced like "root", this is just basically the whole tom-ay-to to-ma-to thing, people have their preferences as to how they pronounce words in which there are multiple pronunciations...

let's just leave it at that...

it is router,

to be fair even the pronunciation guide on the merrian-webster on-line dictionary that you posted (entry 2 referring to the networking device) agrees.

the only exception is that they say it with an American accent, which seems to have taken great offence to the letter T hence they say roooder where-as I personally, if speaking with received pronunciation would not drop the letter Tee.

so I did read the posts, I read your references, (clearly better than you did as they prove you wrong!).

There aren't many free online dictionaries to quote, and no, I've already covered the entry 2 and why it doesn't cover this situation as a router is clearly not a person.

this may be the most retarded thread in the history of teh interwebs, and now "I" feel the need to post something, my God, what is the world coming to...?

route is not always pronounced like "root", this is just basically the whole tom-ay-to to-ma-to thing, people have their preferences as to how they pronounce words in which there are multiple pronunciations...

let's just leave it at that...

My point exactly, root's argument has turned into why "route" is pronounced "root" (wait I'm seeing irony here) when it actually can be pronounced either way.

Anyway, I think this thread should be locked or moved, it's only vaguely "hardware"-related, and none of the posts have been.

ok... your point exactly.

and my point exactly.

the original question asked how to pronounce router, and I explained, as to how to and WHY.
it's always been a discussion about the correct way to pronounce route, then add an errr on the end. you think that you can pronounce a suffixed word without knowing how to pronounce a word that spawned it?

we speak English, thus there is a correct English way to speak a word,
you are in America and thus you have Americanisms.

tomato tomato, potato potato
as in the song. one is the 'correct' as in BBC received pronunciation way to pronounce a word.
the one is an Americanism.

same as route -(rout) and route (root)

There aren't many free online dictionaries to quote, and no, I've already covered the entry 2 and why it doesn't cover this situation as a router is clearly not a person.
unless you have your own specific American way of recognising the letter 2 as well.

when you go to
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/router
you'll see that there are three entries.
click on entry 2 router (noun)
Date: 1903

: one that routes; especially : a device that mediates the transmission routes of data packets over an electronic communications network (as the Internet)
router, as in the device, as I said is named after a person that may sort packages and parcels for specific routes of transport. that's not the word gets to be dated 1903.
and it's said in the same way.
which is route (root)
because the E on the end changes the sound of the vowels within the word, (this is a really simple lesson I remember learning in primary school).

to pronounce the word route as rout shows you either have terrible diction, or are American.
(and I pointed out many examples trying to help, shin, shine, win, wine, run rune).

By the way, I specifically love the dictionary source that YOU posted, since the audio clip proves ME right...

(how did you cover entry 2 saying it didn't apply when the definition clearly named the electronic device used on the internet?).

anyhow... why should it be locked? it's only a bit of fun.

as I said there is a correct way to annunciate and pronounce words, that way is called reprieved English. or BBC english it's how news casters of the 50's used to speak.
rules and lows of English language prove me right, dictionary sources audio files prove me right.

I never said that you couldn't pronounce a word a different way.
indeed say rout/route/router however you like. regional dialects and 'ways of saying things are fun'... -(I merely said there was a correct way)

it's like if i asked how you say What (watt, whut, whad etc).
there is a correct way to say the word, but there are many accepted ways.

its basic laws of english and phonetics.

Back
Top Bottom