How do you backup your pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hefemeister

Lord Techie,
I know I am a bit paranoid but I have the entire life of my children stored in about 200gb of pictures.

Here is my technique:

1) I have one networked working folder that can be used from any computer for photoshop purposes. That way my wife can be on any computer and always use the same images for editing.

2) I have a backup copy on another computer of the pictures. This backup get performed after any major download or photoshop session.

3) I have 2 rotating external hard drives that I update once a month and take one to an offsite location.

One time I was asked if there was a fire in your house what would be the first thing you would grab. I answered that I would grab my computer. The response was: "You are such a geek Hefe why would you grab your computer?" My answer was "if I had the time I would just pull the hard drive out but it would be faster to just grab the whole case." After that they understood why I wanted to save my computer. Nothing to do with hardware only the data is important to me.

At this point and time, I don't have a system for backing up my photos. I only just got my digital camera, so I'll need to figure out something. Before I just had everything stored on my external...when I get some form of server, I'll use that as a backup.

I have my child's life also in digital form. All 2+ years of it. I have 3 copies on HDD's.

1 on my PC on its own drive that was purchased brand new when she was born.
1 copy is on the wife's laptop.
1 copy on my external hard drive.

I also have a DVD of each month burned and stored in a fire safe box that is bolted to my floor. So in case there was a fire, i dont have to worry as i know that the data is safe. I would be able to concentrate on getting the family out. I know that the safe is also protected from robbers as it is bolted down and there is no way that they would be able to get it up, if they could find it. :p

I dont use off site, as i know that no place around offers what i am looking for. Theft, fire, flood, natural disaster. Short of a hurricane or tornado coming through ripping up the foundation of my house, i know that my data is safe.

i've always uploaded to a web server, backed up on two hdds and a few CF cards. Should be pretty safe on the CF cards.....i also keep them in my fire proof safe in my room

How safe is a fireproof safe? It seems to me that with plastic media it could get real hot and potentially melt the media.

I do not know that is why I am asking.

I haven't deleted any photos I have taken off of my memory card that's in my camera yet (besides rejects). I've been meaning to do so because I might run out of room soon (2GB). I save all of my photos on my external drive.

So right now I have them in two places, but it might be one pretty soon.

I use Adobe Version Cue server that goes to a 1TB external drive where I keep all raw files as well as final PNG files. Everything is completely "inter-workable" between my computers using Bridge and Photoshop (or even lightroom). If I do any event, portraiture or anything "business" wise, I do the same, but also backup all files to a DVD (one for me, and one for customer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom