How do SSD's work?

oxyg3n520

Solid State Member
Hi. I am currently using a 1TB 7200rpm HDD and am planning to buy a SSD. Well I was wondering, people say it loads stuff faster for example web browsers. So, if I wanted google chrome to open up faster, does that mean when I install google chrome, I will have to install it onto the ssd and not ssd?(also have all downloaded files, ex. songs, files go directly to hdd) So, whatever application installed on ssd will open faster and whatever is installed on hdd will open slower? Also, is there a way to make everything install default on hdd and only on ssd if I want to if I bought an ssd?

Lol sorry for all the questions!
Thanks!

Last edited:
They best way to do it is as follows.

OS on SSD: Boots quicker
Programs you use on SSD

Data on HDD
I would modify that advice to: Programs you USE on SSD

In other words, install only the most often used programs on to the ssd. If you install all of your programs onto your ssd, you will get great performance but your ssd will fill up very quickly.

Virtually all software installers give you the option to change the install directory during install (you may need to select "Custom" install) so you can decide when you're installing a program where it should be located.

I created D:\Program Files on my hdd (my ssd is C: ) so that I usually only need to change the install location from C:\Program Files\Whatever to D:\Program Files\Whatever. This isn't necessary but I like it because I only need to change C: to D:.

The point is, for you that can't understand my emphasis, only put the programs that you use often on your ssd. It doesn't make sense to use up the space on your ssd on programs that are used infrequently, hence the emphasis on USE.

The point is, for you that can't understand my emphasis, only put the programs that you use often on your ssd. It doesn't make sense to use up the space on your ssd on programs that are used infrequently, hence the emphasis on USE.

Really? I would never have thought of that

Really? I would never have thought of that
Maybe you would and maybe you wouldn't, no way for us to know that. My answer was directed to the OP who may not have known which is the reason he asked about ssds in the first place.

Many answers found on these forums are obvious to people that already know the answer but aren't so obvious to those that aren't as knowledgeable.

Back
Top Bottom