How Do I Set Up A Basic Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nashlabs

Beta member
I understand this sounds like a stupid question, but for some reason I am having problems. I have Windows XP Home installed on both computers. I run the network setup wizard on both computers. I give them both a name and assign them to the same workgroup. When I go into the network folder I see my folder to share files, but not the other computer's folder. Then when I click on "View Workgroup Computers" I can see the other computer. So it is detecting the PC somewhat, but I can't get them to just simply connect to one another and be able to share files back and forth. Can someone give me a walkthrough of the process that wil guarantee the network to be set up correctly and is simple to understand. I really appreciate it. Thanks!

Let me ask this, can you go into command prompt and ping the remote computer and can the remote computer ping your computer.

Ping the IP address of the remote computer and vice-versa, then ping the name of the remote computer. Report if you get any reply on both test.

Example: ping 192.168.1.1 and ping computerA

My computer can see the other computer and the ping will detect it. However, the other computer cannot see mine (In the "View Workgroup Computers") and the ping cannot reach my PC. None of the packets were recieved. Now, my computer is on a different router than the other computer. Running off my router is another router and running off the second router is the computer I'm trying to connect with. I'm not sure if this is the problem or not. Thanks. ;)

You are in different subnets, that's what I am assuming. Meaning your IP address aren't in the same network, like one computer is in 192.168.1.0 and the other might be in 192.168.0.0. What I am thinking is that the second computer connected to the second router can ping the first computer because it has a route to the first PC thatÂ’s why and the first PC doesnÂ’t have a route in itÂ’s IP table.

On the second router, turn off DHCP. Connect the switch ports from the two routers together using a crossover cable or use the uplink to uplink ports and use the straight-through cable which is usually grey. You should know the different ports, there's usually the WAN port then 4 switch ports then maybe an uplink port.

Most likely the problem should be solve by just turning off DHCP on the second router, then change itÂ’s LAN IP address to something in the first network.

Well, sorry about that, but they are both hooked into the same router. I was looking at the wrong cord, sorry. :( They are both plugged into the primary router and do not run off of the second router that is connected to the primary router. So what do you think the problem would be? Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom