How do I overclock my Compaq Deskpro? (CPU details included)

LOLZpersonok

In Runtime
I have successfully managed to overclock my main computer that has an AMD Athlon X2 CPU from 2.11GHz to 2.80GHz and it runs stable and faster, but most importantly, it runs cool. But it was easy, as the Phoenix BIOS that is in it had the menus and options to overclock it.

Now I am stumped as I cannot find any options in the BIOS of my Compaq Deskpro I want to overclock.

It currently has a 500MHz Intel Celeron CPU (I don't know what the codename or specific model is). It has I believe it is a 66MHz bus speed or whatever it is. I am not sure how to overclock this specific CPU. Can someone tell me how I can do this? (And I also want to know what is the highest stable speed I can get it up to)

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

By the way, I set the computer's fan speed to be the highest speed in the BIOS.

it's not that specifik CPU that is the problem. it is the BIOS.
most branded computers does not have overclocking support.

in some cases the BOIS's overclocking support is not necessarily locked, but just not shown.
so you will still be able to overclock via programs.
For that i will advice you to try Clockgen.
if that does not work then you might need to flash a new BIOS in order to overclock.

in worst case you will need a new motherboard to overclock.

i agree with setishock.
Linux will make that old crap much faster.
you might have some programs that are not compatible with Linux, but you will be able to find alternitives. and it's all free. ^^
Linux DSM will be a great on the mashine.
but you migh want to go with Ubuntu. it is easyer to figure out.

It's an antique. Slap a linux os on it and wait for it to crap out from old age. It's a wonder it's still operating.
Compaq Deskpro EN Series - North America/U.S. QuickSpecs

Theres one on youtube that ran a year without them turning it off, hibernating or even sleeping.

I had one but i threw it out because it didn't like my 370 slotket.

almost identical model:

PIII-500
64mb
7gb hdd
ati imbedded agp card(why so wasteful 440BX???)
windows 95

theres nothing really of value in those boxes, just throw in a gig of ram(pretty sure that maxes the 440bx), a geforce pci card, and some not-to fancy linux distro. Lubuntu would be good.

Back
Top Bottom