How do I find out a sites IP address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeRuler99

purveyor of fine cheeses
Hello,

I want to be able to block some adult and inappropriate sites from being accessed on our home network. The router I use needs me to type in an IP address to create a rule as to whether that site can be accessed or not.

So I have a question. How does one find out what IP address a website has?

ok, got one, it was DNS lookup though, not reverse :D

try www.dnsstuff.com, that has basically everything you need.

DNS, reverse DNS, whois, all the bells and whisltes :D

what you want is on the right hand side, DNS lookup i think, you type in a domain (www.anything.com) and it will tell you the IP i believe :D

Hope i helped,
Phate

Phate said:

what you want is on the right hand side, DNS lookup i think, you type in a domain (www.anything.com) and it will tell you the IP i believe :D

Hope i helped,
Phate

Or you could go into your command prompt and use the ping command
just type "ping www.website.com" (without the quotes) and it will show the ip address of the site.

Phate said:

Hope i helped,
Phate

Thanks! This is what I had originally used, but forgot where to find it, and how to use it. Problem solved!

your welcome :D

-Phate

P.S. the ping thing would have worked too, but i think dnsstuff.com is more user friendly :D

Yeah, no doubt, but you're right about the user friendliness. I think I tried that the very first time, ages ago, when I wanted to find out an IP and I just couldn't work it. Meh, it's done now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom