How do I clone Windows 8.1 from SSD to USB Drive?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi guys and Happy New Year to all!

Ok, here's the scoop. My wife's laptop died. It was the HDD. I installed a brand new SSD, did a clean install of Windows 8.1, updated Windows with all the new updates, installed the drivers for the laptop as well as Microsoft Office.

Now I would like to clone an image from the SSD to a USB drive. I just spent one entire week setting up her laptop all over again. I would like to create an image that I can re-install should her SSD ever take a crap like her HDD did.

I forgot to create a partition on the SSD. I simply installed everything on the SSD. There is presently 30 GB of 240GB of OS, data, etc. on the SSD. Here's my big question:

How do I clone Windows 8.1 from SSD to 64 GB USB Drive?

Please help me if you can!

Thanks,

Soar

Use CloneZilla to create an image.

Make a bootable disc, choose "Device to image", and set your backup location, and then choose the drive to backup. It will only backup the used space (so 30GB), as well as compress it somewhat to save space. Then you can use that image to restore anytime.

Make a bootable disc, choose "Device to image", and set your backup location, and then choose the drive to backup. It will only backup the used space (so 30GB), as well as compress it somewhat to save space. Then you can use that image to restore anytime.

This! Also i think this is is definitely the best way to create a fool-proof restore point too because you can put the image on any HD (as long as it fits).. I've gotten into the habit of creating images of the PCs i get whenever i first set them up - like after uninstalling bloatware and installing what I want on it. Then I just normalize and image. :)

This! Also i think this is is definitely the best way to create a fool-proof restore point too because you can put the image on any HD (as long as it fits).. I've gotten into the habit of creating images of the PCs i get whenever i first set them up - like after uninstalling bloatware and installing what I want on it. Then I just normalize and image. :)

Definitely a good thing to do for reimaging.

Definitely a good thing to do for reimaging.

Thanks guys.

When I follow your instructions, Clonezilla cannot see the 64 GB USB drive. What format should I have the USB drive in [Options appear to be exFAT or NTFS]. Is there anything else I can do do help Clonezilla to "See" the USB Drive?

Thanks,

Soar

Last edited:
Do you have the drive plugged in the whole time that CloneZilla is starting?

What format is your flash drive in?

Do you have the drive plugged in the whole time that CloneZilla is starting?

What format is your flash drive in?

Hi carnageX!

Yes, the flash drive is plugged in the entire time. Presently the flash drive is formatted in the NTFS format. I can format it into NTFS or exFAT with the Windows option. I suppose I can format it into several different options by using GpartedLive that you guys so graciously taught me how to use several years ago!

What will it be?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom