how do i access my Dad's computer?

bigdan

Daemon Poster
My Dad is very technologically unsavvy and gets pretty stressed out over computer questions. In a conversation we just had he doesn't even know how to use NetFlix hahahah. Unfortunately he's across the world so I can't help him in person.

What software could I use to do this? I'd need it to be completely secure and also easy to use.

Thanks!
Dan

I have always used TeamViewer. You can use it for free as long as it is for non-business. Send him the file for it and talk him through clicking through on the non-install version. Once you connect you can install the regular version and set it up so you can access it when you need to.

I have always used TeamViewer. You can use it for free as long as it is for non-business. Send him the file for it and talk him through clicking through on the non-install version. Once you connect you can install the regular version and set it up so you can access it when you need to.

I'll add onto this: Have him download the "Quick Connect" version. It's an executable that he just runs, and it pops up a window with a username/password. Then you can use the full install of Team Viewer to connect with the credentials he gives you. And anytime he needs your help, he can just run that file and you can connect.

An alternative, is if Chrome is installed on his system, you can use Chrome Remote Desktop, and set it up so you can remote into it anytime.

There is an inbuilt windows desktop connection program and also a remote assistance function
That's true but Win RDC is much more restrictive than Teamviewer. For instance, RDC server (the part that runs on the computer you wish to remotely connect to) will only run on Pro versions of Windows. It also requires opening ports and things like that to be able to get it to connect to a remote computer.

I've used TeamViewer for years to help friends and relatives with their computers and it is very easy for them to install and use.

Another vote for Team Viewer. Just be careful on two counts. Occasionally Team Viewer arbitrary decides that you are using it for personal gain and shuts you out after five minutes. Happened to me a couple of times and I never use Team Viewer for money, only for my family when they have problems. trying to get it back can be a nightmare mainly because Team Viewer support doesn't, really support free users. The other problem with Team Viewer, or any other remote access software, is that the scammers use it to access computers to steal your money or worse. Ensure your father doesn't allow any one else, other than you, to access his computer using Team Viewer or whatever remote access software you decide to use.

I recently used AnyDesk instead of TeamViewer and was very impressed. TeamViewer kept telling me that I was using an old version (even though I downloaded it straight from their site) and would not connect. I tried AnyDesk and had no issues, plus it didn't have as much lag as TeamViewer usually does.

Chrome Remote Desktop is a good alternative as well. Just requires Chrome to be installed on the target and host machines.

You can try using Team Viewer. Through that you can access everything on your dads computer. Maybe the connection won't be pretty, but it will work...

Back
Top Bottom