How come Dolby Digital Live isn't standard on all high end mobo & GPU cards?

geraldb373

Beta member
Just as my header describes...I can't understand why all major cable companies use this method to broadcast 5.1 digital sound as well as PS3 & Xbox 360 using this as an industry standard for gaming purposes. How can it be that computers don't have it on all motherboards & graphics cards? I bring this up because I have it on my PC with my onboard Intel IDT equipped audio card. This is not even an option on my Nvdia Graphics card or my friends recently acquired PC with a high end ASUS motherboard. I have put pics to show where the option should be available when selecting SPDIF optical output from your PC.(which by the way I think should have also been available for HDMI output)

Soundoptions2_zps5361596b.jpg Photo by Geraldb373 | Photobucket

As you can see in the photo when you go to your sound options in the control panel I just select my SPDIF-Out then click properties and this will give the the option for full time Dolby Digital sound. This is vastly superior to any form of other gaming audio available. Take it from someone who has a sound system valued approx. 10 000$ this is the best audio standard for gamers on the market today. Please help me to increase the demand. Thanks for any help. Should I get enough support I will provide a better demonstration via video on Youtube. Here is a link which also details from Dolby website what I am Referring to. Dolby Digital Live

My board has DDL and several other Dolby formats. It's piped through the graphics card and on out to a 7.1 surround system. The display on the sound system shows what format is being decoded as I sift through the settings or the computer is pulling it off the media. Intel DZ77GA-70K with Intel 3570K CPU. Nvidia GTX 650 vid card.

I agree that it would be decoded through your graphics card if you play a dvd or blu-ray encoded movie. But what I am referring to is a full time DDL even if you to use youtube or download with video only 2 channel encoding. It's is basically upconverting the audio instead of just decoding the audio.

Some systems offer it, some don't. Doing any sudo surround sound requires the encoder to have a set matrix as to what freq band goes to what speaker. The sound may not wind up on the proper speaker.
With higher end Dolby the recording is made to place the sound where it should be as if you where sitting in the center of the action. I tend to think that can't be faked properly.

Well the best example I can give is when I played Far Cry 2. I demonstrated to my friend who came over to see and he could not believe what he was hearing...If I were in dialogue with an A.I. player I would have the ability to turn my avatar 360 degrees during the dialogue and the voice of the other character would change speakers completely, even when my back is fully turned his voice only ends up in proper rear channel depending on the angle. If that is just a simulation then it is flawless. Also I can definitely notice that the audio is clearer with more detail probably output is at 96khz, but that is just a guess.

Then it would be safe to assume the game has multiple audio coding in it. Check the setup menu.

Ok I'll admit one thing for sure... there are clearly several different variance of Dolby Digital and I may not be familiar with the differences but when I start my pc and the typical windows chime starts up...my receiver shows me the offset(usually +4) just as when I use my digital cable box or my PS3. It says simply Dolby Digital on the front of my receiver. When I switch to HDMI output and use Dolby Pro logic or Even a THX matrix variant the sound is not as clear and the result isn't even a close comparison. I am by no means as knowledgeable as I would like but when I saw that my friend's PC with an ASUS mobo could not come up with Dolby Digital as an option for output, I was shocked. Perhaps I need to do more research into the matter but I am very disappointed cause I wanted to buy a new PC soon but not at the sacrifice of losing my DDL. It's not like I can audition my new PC to see if it will have the sound I'm looking for in advance. I do appreciate your time to respond though. thanx

I have Dolby Pro Logic, and I think that's it? Not even sure if my receiver supports anything else.

Back
Top Bottom