How can I setup the private server?

CharlieCCL

Beta member
A old online game - Holy Beast Online which I played over 10 years will be closed soon. I hope to keep this game for my childhood memory, therefore, I want to learn something about setting up the private server, anyone can teach me?

A old online game - Holy Beast Online which I played over 10 years will be closed soon. I hope to keep this game for my childhood memory, therefore, I want to learn something about setting up the private server, anyone can teach me?

Hey, I've been off-line for a two or three of days so I have just noticed this thread.

Their are some really knowledgeable people on these boards but I'll try and help with what I can.

If you are genuinely looking for server capability from computer based hardware you need too look closely at what you can afford too spend in regards too real world money as ultimately this as I'm not sure with what seems to be a lack of understanding about servers, will be an investment.

Don't just buy the first thing you see available as this will be used long term and shouldn't be regarded as disposable tech.

Look for a tower based server, or something like a Rack Mount Server that can sit quietly with very little interruptions from you the user in a discreet place.

Second is after finding a server or at least a system you can have booted 24 \ 7 in a discreet place you need too look at the OS. The OS being the Operating System.

Simple solution is use something called Ubuntu. Ubuntu 18.4 is now released and is LTS (Long Term Support) and will be supported for 5 years by the developers of this operating software what will sit on you server just like a copy of Microsoft Windows would on a average desktop PC.

After choosing your Server OS and at first the hardware, next things get tricky because you have too have an understanding of how Server based OS's work so doing the likes of updates and software upgrades on the system if not directly or remotely from another computer will be complex because if doing software upgrades and updates you are ultimately setting up a Network LAN I presume in your Home.

This is complex when you look at the options available because, do you stick with your ISP Internet Service Provider) default Modem \ Router or do you set up a custom Router for access to the internet. Do you have configurations like custom firewalls in place and also what about setting up a secure Virtual Private Network in order to get access from the outside world or even a SOCKS Proxy.

An actual incoming connection coming from another location in to your server at home.

Theirs also options like setting up RAID what is simply; Redundant Array of Independent Disks. Setting those configuration option based on how you want your Server to preform will be vital when you choose the actual server it self at purchase.

You need to do some research on this because this is a big topic. Its not as simple to just set up a server and be away.

You mite want too look at simply installing something like Linux Mint in order to save the overall game and play at a given PC (terminal) .

I can imagine their are many options and I'm not sure is a full blown server is actually appropriate because I don't know what nature of this game in regards too the interaction on something like Ubuntu and how you want to directly play and interact with it. Will a Emulator be enough; I don't know.

Let us know and get back to us if you can.

Back
Top Bottom