How can I setup a virtual tech lab.

Oh, I thought you mean't for me to promote the 2nd server as a secondary DC with DHCP.

So you're saying that it should be a normal server with DHCP? :neutral:

Yes sorry, in a real enviroment, you should have 2 DC's with DNS and all other services on separate servers (some can be grouped)..

Ok....I'm a bit confused, (good thing I'm not doing this in the real world)

Should I have either two DCs, one with DNS and the other with DHCP or both with DNS and DHCP?

Or

Should I have two DCs, both running DNS and then another server running DHCP? Wouldn't the third server need to be on the domain though?

Can I not just have two DCs both running DNS and DHCP, I always thought the point of having two was in case one went down, you've still got the other one to keep things going?

Ok....I'm a bit confused, (good thing I'm not doing this in the real world)

Should I have either two DCs, one with DNS and the other with DHCP or both with DNS and DHCP?

Or

Should I have two DCs, both running DNS and then another server running DHCP? Wouldn't the third server need to be on the domain though?

Can I not just have two DCs both running DNS and DHCP, I always thought the point of having two was in case one went down, you've still got the other one to keep things going?

The second, 2 DCs with DNS (so your domain network can point two them both and spread the authentication load/queries and if one goes down the other will still function as a back up.

Third server run a DHCP, but just add to domain as you would normally for a computer.
It is possible to have multiple servers with DHCP but it isnt a simple set up and I dont know how to do it to be honest but it would be good for redundancy (but this is just a simple set up)..
The only time you'll "need" more than one DHCP server is if you have VLANs and your switch does not support BOOTP & DHCP..

Hope this clears it up?

The second, 2 DCs with DNS (so your domain network can point two them both and spread the authentication load/queries and if one goes down the other will still function as a back up.

Third server run a DHCP, but just add to domain as you would normally for a computer.
It is possible to have multiple servers with DHCP but it isnt a simple set up and I dont know how to do it to be honest but it would be good for redundancy (but this is just a simple set up)..
The only time you'll "need" more than one DHCP server is if you have VLANs and your switch does not support BOOTP & DHCP..

Hope this clears it up?

Great! I understand....I will do just that, as soon as I get extra RAM.
I started to build a WSUS VM as well to see how it works but the extra is needed for the other client machines I'm going to build as well.

Great! I understand....I will do just that, as soon as I get extra RAM.
I started to build a WSUS VM as well to see how it works but the extra is needed for the other client machines I'm going to build as well.

Yeah, RAM is the biggest thing you need for VM

Back
Top Bottom