how can I prevent water from getting in my basement

Status
Not open for further replies.

24giovanni

Banned
I have a sump pump in my basement that does a great job of keeping most out of my basement. My problem I have is that it is used way too much. Does anyone know of a way of having so much water entering my basement to begin with? There must be something I can do without spending a bunch of money. Any suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated.

TIA

severe rain and I assume small cracks in the walls but that problem only allows minimal water in it now. I have now idea how the water gets in underground where as the pump will do its job and get it out.

Any ideas on what I can do?

I suggest demolishing the house and rebuilding it on higher ground. Its drastic and costly but it's all you can do I'm afraid.

^ WHAT?!

anyways, he can also live in a house built into a hill.

Ok, like stated, seal up the cracks (first step)
second, how have you used it way too much? have you burnt the motor out? is it jsut not working enough? etc.

Get a professional... If there's one thing you don't want to screw up, it's your foundation. If water is leaking in, it's creating TONS of damage... I also suggest water-seals along the cellar door, if you have one.

24giovanni said:
I have a sump pump in my basement that does a great job of keeping most out of my basement. My problem I have is that it is used way too much. Does anyone know of a way of having so much water entering my basement to begin with? There must be something I can do without spending a bunch of money. Any suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated.

TIA

When was the house built? Is the foundation concrete block or poured concrete? You can get a sealant for the brick....unfortunatly, this is nature that we are dealing with. Eventually, it will crack.....just the way it is. Over time, any solution given will fail with water. But, if the damage is primarily within the walls and it's brick then you can and should reseal it. If it's older then there is a good chance that the mortor that was mixed to build the brick structure had a high lime content. Unfortunatly, this, over time will weaken the overall mortar structure and you get more of those tiny cracks that you NEVER see. These are the types of cracks that the water comes in through.

So, in essence, short of rebuilding the walls, a sealant every 5-10 years will be your only solution. DON'T go to Home Depot and buy some sealant though...lol. Get a professional to estimate and do the work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom