How can I access my router settings?

ocoolw1

Beta member
Hello.
Currently I am connected through a speedstream modem, and a linksys router. I was unable to access my router settings since I turned my network in to a wireless hub. I am not too sure of the specifics here, but it basically changed my internet so that everything went through my modem, and made my router only an access point to it. It has been a year since I did this...

Anyways, I can access my speedstream setting just fine. ipconfig tells me my ip is 192.168.254.10, but when i type that in to the browser, it brings nothing up.

I am sure this has something to do with the way I set this up a year ago. This is exactly how it is set up:
Phone line to DSL on modem.
Ethernet on modem connected to port 1 on router.
I probably had to change a bunch of setting when I changed all of this around, but i can not remember for the life of me.
note that i have already tried typing in the standard ip adress of 192.168.1.1 and it brings nothing up.

Any suggestions?

Hello,

If running Windows Vista or 7, click start and type in 'cmd' Or if you are running Windows XP, hold the Windows key and press R and type in 'cmd and hit enter.

In CMD type in 'ipconfig'. You should find your default gateway ip address there. Type that into your browser and see if it works.

Just to make sure 192.168.1.1 is the default gateway.

That's the address I use to get to my speedstream settings, not my linksys settings. My default gateway is 192.168.254.254.

You've probably had to set up the router with a static IP address. If it's acting as a true access point, you won't know the IP address from the ipconfig command. If you can't figure out what the static IP you set up is (start with 192.168.254.254 and work your way down?) then you'll probably have to do a hard reset on the router and re-configure it. Then what I always do any time I make a static IP address is take a permanent marker and write the IP address on the back/bottom of the router.

Well if you bought your router and it originally was a router for internet and other purposes, you can reset the Router to the original manufacture condition. The button is in the back and push and hold it.

^That depends on the router brand. However, the default on all of them is some combination of admin/password/left blank. Some use UN: admin/PW: left blank, some use UN: admin/PW: password, some use UN:admin/PW:admin or some other combination of those 3 choices. You can google it for your router brand and should be able to find it.

Back
Top Bottom