how bad are celerons????

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdawg

Daemon Poster
would you ever recommend a celeron? even to an old lady who doesn't want to build up a PC but just wants a cheap PC to check email and go to pogo.com with?

Is it fair to say that a 2.8 GHz celeron is just fine for checking email and websites with and Pentiums are just for multitasking, games and video editing.

A lot of people are just sold on the Pentium name, then want the cheapest PC they can get with a Pentium 533 mhz FSB, 512 mb ram if they are smart, CD burner, with a flat screen, and go buy a $550 dell without second thought.

dude, i won't buy a celly for crap... if an old lady wants to go on email, i'll get her a PIII 500MHZ, 128 RAM, 3GB HD, WIN ME, and yeah.... should be fast enough! ;)

I get that at work a lot, but it's more people who buy the $300 eMachines with a Celeron/Sempron and expect it to do everything. I've had people call back saying that games like HL2 and Sims 2 won't run on them and I laugh and laugh and laugh... :)

a celeron would be fine for those tasks... don't listen to anybody who says that they're not. in a pinch they can be oced a TON. celerons are to p4's as siemprons are to axp's. i think half the cache is diabled/renoved and some other things i can't remember..

And mac, for your question, I'd still have a hard time recommending a Celeron since P4/Athlon systems aren't a lot more and will be way faster and last her way longer, unless she's seen the said eMachines and thinks I'm just trying to rip her off (happens sometimes too ;))

I KNOW!!!!!

I have one of these and they are awsome

DELL OPTIPLEX GX150

p3 1Ghz
256ram
20hard drive

I formated and put xp on

grab one off ebay chep

The typical American PC....

$300 Emahines - Computer/Monitor/Printer

Celeron Processor
Windows ME
256MB of PC2100 RAM
and best of all....AOL dial-up!

People with these types of system call me up at office depot all the time asking why they can't run Doom 3/HL2 etc....like jorsoft said....i go back in the back room and just laugh my head off.

I will never go back to a Celeron. Celeron is Intels budget processors just as the Sempron is AMDs budget processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom