how bad are celerons????

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, heard they got a dedicated server for these forums... lots of users here... that's good ;)

beedubaya said:
The typical American PC....

$300 Emahines - Computer/Monitor/Printer

Celeron Processor
Windows ME
256MB of PC2100 RAM
and best of all....AOL dial-up!
Don't forget the lack of an AGP/PCI-e slot! :D

Doom 3 and HL2 will run completely fine on a Celeron 2.6, it just needs the video card

most people who buy Celerons also get crap video cards
most people who buy Celerons also don't know much about computers (not referring to all people). they don't know what a video card is, so when they try and run Doom 3 or something and it lags, all they know is the "CPU" is slow
people like that often refer to the whole system as the "CPU"

in reality, Celerons are not much less than Pentium 4's in terms of performance. people just have some huge hate for CPU's that get even slightly beaten by another

*edit*
TF is run on a 2.6 Celeron.

apokalipse said:
Doom 3 and HL2 will run completely fine on a Celeron 2.6, it just needs the video card

most people who buy Celerons also get crap video cards
most people who buy Celerons also don't know much about computers (not referring to all people). they don't know what a video card is, so when they try and run Doom 3 or something and it lags, all they know is the "CPU" is slow
people like that often refer to the whole system as the "CPU"

in reality, Celerons are not much less than Pentium 4's in terms of performance. people just have some huge hate for CPU's that get even slightly beaten by another

*edit*
TF is run on a 2.6 Celeron.
Celerons will NOT run doom 3/hl2 good AT ALL. I used to have a celeron 1.7, and I played UT2004, it ran like CRAP. Now this is when I also had a PCI video card, so it would run like crap anyway, but UT2004 is a very CPU intensive game, and when I upgraded it to a P4 2.0, I got at LEAAST 10fps more in ALL areas.

I don't hate Celerons, but the lack of an L2 Cache (i think thats what they remove) makes them a fair amount slower than a P4/Athlon, but a LOT cheaper to make. That's why Intel/AMD make them, for people who want cheap computers. Real gamers would rather play with a full-fledged CPU because they're the ones who will actually notice the performance difference. You're right when you say that Email and Word aren't any faster on a P4 than a Celeron, but why buy this:
http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T3985
when this one costs less money and is a lot more powerful in general?
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...y_series&catLevel=2&tab_switch=true&tab=specs

The HP is the better buy, but I wouldn't buy either of them because of their proprietary components and onboard video. It seems like none of the big companies are including video cards these days.

At Office Depot this week, we have an Emachines thats on sale for $299.99, and you get the PC, monitor, and printer, and people are storming in buy it....i mean its hard to keep it on the shelves. Keep in mind this PC is a Celeron 2.6 GHz with 256MB of RAM and a 40GB hard drive. Believe it or not, I had somebody call asking me why it wouldn't play Everquest 2 lol :p

I doubt some people who say "Celeron's suck" actually know why they suck :p. In anycase, a new Celeron should be better than my PIII.. I can do literally everything on it - except play games.. And do 3D modelling, and video editting.. :D..

To check email, surfing the net, and word processing, and "older" games, yeah.. Celerons are just dandy :)

i meant they suck for gamers, but yes everything else they can do fine, since im a gamer, by my standards they do indeed 'suck'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom