How a cpu works???

Making your own CPU... quite a cool project, (there has been more than one of these on hackaday over the years, including some mechanical CPUs, (think relays for logic and magnetic tubes for memory!)

if you want to make one yourself, then the obvious question is, how much do you know about logic gates, boolean algebra and reduction, flip flops and latches etc...

If I were you I'd start simple with a binary adding machine.

Making your own CPU... quite a cool project, (there has been more than one of these on hackaday over the years, including some mechanical CPUs, (think relays for logic and magnetic tubes for memory!)

if you want to make one yourself, then the obvious question is, how much do you know about logic gates, boolean algebra and reduction, flip flops and latches etc...

If I were you I'd start simple with a binary adding machine.

+1... in my Digital Logic class, we started out making a Vending Machine - both on a breadboard, as well as in an FPGA with Verilog HDL. We then for our final project made a CPU on the FPGA (not on a breadboard, thankfully lol). It did a simple add / subtract / 1's comp / 2's comp / and a few other simple operations.

I can post an image of the diagram that was generated from Verilog if you want for our CPU :p.

Back
Top Bottom