Hot technology

"For computers, USB 3.0 is a huge step forward, but won't be this decade's best. There's so much more that will be happening in the next few years that I have a feeling will be mind blowing." PostSimBoy, I think you're alluding to Thunderbolt which is expected to be 200 times faster than USB 2.0 at the end of this decade.

OLED is still impractically expensive for anything larger than a phone. You'd have to pay a small fortune for even a small TV sized one.

3D TVs are getting cheap if you look around. I saw a 42" one for $750 at Conn's during the weekend. 3D is still just a gimmick though, and will remain as such until more manufacturers switch to passive polarized 3D. The active type just costs far too much ($150/pair for the glasses last time I checked) and causes horrible eyestrain for some people (me included) as well as crosstalk ("ghosting") on LCDs due to the poor response times. Also, there is very little 3D programming available. Broadcasts are very rare and limited to high profile sporting events, and the 3D blu ray format is incredibly expensive and dominated by children's movies. I have a 3D computer monitor (the passive polarized type) and I have to say that the effect is definitely amazing, but only works in certain situations. For example, watching a nature documentary in 3D is beyond awesome. The scenes are almost always incredibly well shot and they usually make things look more realistic. However, sports and most non-animated movies gain nothing. People tend to look like cardboard cutouts and indoor scenes usually have either exaggerated depth or look squished.

To comment on what you said (and thank you), when I tried out the glasses last year, there was no eyestrain for me (btw I wear my own glasses which could have magnified any possible eyestrain). As far as lack of programming goes, no surprise there as this is a new technology. However there's been more and more talk about 3DTV and movies made for it that have been advertised, so that along with the recent drop in price is encouraging.

To comment on what you said (and thank you), when I tried out the glasses last year, there was no eyestrain for me (btw I wear my own glasses which could have magnified any possible eyestrain)

The eyestrain from shutter glasses varies a lot from person to person. Many people can use them for long periods of time without any strain, while others cannot use them at all. It really depends on your susceptibility to flicker.

BTW, how long did you try it for? A minute or two is not enough time to gauge how it will affect you.

The eyestrain from shutter glasses varies a lot from person to person. Many people can use them for long periods of time without any strain, while others cannot use them at all. It really depends on your susceptibility to flicker.

BTW, how long did you try it for? A minute or two is not enough time to gauge how it will affect you.

About 15 minutes (is there anything on the internet that goes more deeply into eyestrain? I think the technology is a big improvement over the red-green glasses).

Back
Top Bottom