Hosting recommendation?

S0ULphIRE

Golden Master
My mum has decided she's going to start an online business, basically your standard sale items + paypal plugin, etc.

I'm thinking the best/easiest way to accomplish this would be via WordPress. I've registered domain names before, so that part's easy, but I'm not sure which hosting service she should go with. I've always just made my own servers, never rented one before.

WordPress has a few suggestions on their site already. However, price and apparent features/power/bandwidth vary pretty wildly between them, it's doing my head in XD
For example, one is for 4.95 a month with "unlimited bandwidth and storage", whereas another is 8.95 with limits on both. o_O

Could someone give me some advice as to which hosting service to go with? Anything to be wary of?

godaddy and namecheap both have good and extremely reasonable hosting plans and they both have free features that allow you to do online sales without doing any manual coding.

For a startup site hostmonster is the best. They claim unlimited but there are limits as with all the "unlimited" hosts.

Search google for hostmonster coupons and you can get 2 or 3 years for 3.95 a month.

Once the site gets big enough you can move onto a VPS.

I use iPower, rather cheap, and I haven't had any issues out of them. I ended up with a 5 year package deal they had for $2.99 a month with 1000GB of traffic before they would say anything.

Only thing I hate about them is the fact that they do not let you access the SQL database remotely, has to be accessed from with in the network, which is rather... Ignorant.

I use bluehost. So far I haven't encountered anything stupid or unfair like unreasonable "limited unlimited" space or anything like that. Signing up was easy.

I find it depends what you're looking for from a hosting company. Are you looking for cheap prices, reliable support and service or a big name that will forget about all your issues? I'm with Penguin Internet and have a handful of wordpress installs. Worth checking out if you're looking into hosting.

you should check out Canada VOIP.
Their hosted VOIP PBX is one of the better ones out there. I found the price affordable and reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom