Hosting my own website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthTools

Hardware/VB.net/Anti-vir
I have no knowledge what-so-ever on how to make a website or host a website... I have used Freewebs.com before.. but that's about it.

If I wanted to host my own website I know I will need a static IP Address so when my router is turned off and on my ip doesn't change..

Could anyone give me some tips on how I would go about making and hosting my own website?

I say 'hosting' because I don't mind hosting it, but for those who have experience in this is it definitely more expensive to get a Static IP from your ISP instead of buying a hosting service?

How would I go about getting a hosting service? can you recommend some? do I have to learn a programming language to use a hosting service? or do they have built-in easyness?

Sorry for being such a noob... I've been visiting webpages most of my life and have no idea how they are set up.

This would be a website with a main page, forum, integrated paypal-type store...

If your fairly new to creating web sites, like I am, I would recommend using a third party host such as godaddy.com or networksolutions.com and then just managing them via microsoft front page or the much further recommended Adobe Dreamweaver. This may not be what you are looking for but if you're looking to set p a server and deal with all that it starts to get pricey to do it the "right" way.

A static IP is not essential, you can use a service such as dyndns (which will emulate the behaviour of a static IP). To set up an account is free and will allow you to point a name towards your router. This will require setting up on both the service and on your router but we will be able to help you with both if you need.
Since this is more about hosting than programming I will move it to the correct forum. If you need further help in writing the website itself (and I do recommend that instead of using frontpage etc) then do feel free to post in the programming forum about that.

I say 'hosting' because I don't mind hosting it, but for those who have experience in this is it definitely more expensive to get a Static IP from your ISP instead of buying a hosting service?
I assume that is much more bigger trouble for you. I have tried that and now I decided that paying 5-10 dollars per month much more better option for me and without any headache. I think that having account somewhere with 4java.ca, espinda.com or knownhost.com (which indeed can be considered as cheap web hosting providers).
Ofg course you will decide which way to follow. I just decide to place my opinion here

Static IPs in themselves arent that expensive as such, they just add to your bill but they must come from your ISP, thats how your data connection works, I have done some big research in this area.

Depends what ISP you go for aswell, allot of the top commercial ones like VM here they refuse to provide you with a Static IP address, I havent done enough to know which ISP do provide this, but their cost is usually around £10-£20 pm per IP basis.

Shared hosting, when you go for a hosting plan, your technically sharing that data connection with other users, and they dont provide much customisation, I have just gone with a new form of shared hosting plan, but with commandline access to my own area, boggles me how they set that up but its a beauty, just changing my live DNS servers over to that new host, cant wait until namesco find out about it, they'll probably suspend my account when they find out haha!!

I also at the moment have freedns.com I think it is, that I have my domain jeremysmith.me.uk sort of relaying if thats the word to my public dynamic IP, there's a script from their server you can run on your localhost to relay a message informing them of your new IP, a Linux Shell Script.

You can get shared hosting for less than 10$ a month. Most ISP's don't like people hosting websites, so you'll probably find it is a hassle and not worth saving a few bucks.

This is my views on hosting a website at home are. I have posted that all ready on TF on another subforum. I will post them again here.

It's not a good idea due to bandwidth issues. The problem with most hosting is that your Uploads speeds are slower that your Download speeds. Therefore the slight will be rather slow to view.

And unless you are planning on having a dedicated internet line (cable or DSL) it means that you browsing/online gaming/torrenting will be competing with what ever traffic that is viewing your website.

Backup stategy? UPS are cheap enough to buy when the power goes down. But what if the telephone lines get effect too because some hoon pranged there car into a telegraph pole up the road from your steet. And this is not including act of god that might take out both your power and your phone lines for a few days.

Security. What happens if some one hacks into your website and on to your private network? My friend that I out source Search Engine Optimization work too does hire himself out to hack websites for these sorts of vunrabilities. And with some of the stuff he tells me (No, I am not repeating them here, so don't ask or PM me.), you will be thinking twices about hosting a web server on the same network as your other PCs.

Your ISP. Some ISP on a normal home account will not let you host a website from home. Check your ISP's Terms and Conditions of use in regards to housing your our website or FTP. Most ISP might not care. However if your account starts costing them extra bandwidth due to your hosting from home, they might object to it. (Yes, I have had this happen to me once)

With the price that is costs for hosting these days, unless you are running a business where your E-Commerce is directly linked with your accouting / inventory control package, you are better off just hosting your site directly with a hosting company.
The only other reason why I would host as home is just to see if I can do it for my own educational benefit. But I would not be keeping any thing there for long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom