Hosting multiple websites on a home network server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I have a win2003server box behind a router behind a smoothwall box on my home network and I am wondering the most efficient way of hosting multiple websites // pointing multiple domain names to different servers or folders on that machine...

thank you for any input

Dan

I've never hosted more than one site on a Windows server, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. If you use Apache (I suggest AppServ), you want to look for <VirtualHost>, I think it's at the end of your httpd.conf file. I always had problems setting up virtual host entries on Apache 2.x, but Apache 1.3 has always been a breeze.

It should look something like this:

Code:
Listen 80
NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
   ServerName www.somesite.com
   DocumentRoot c:\server\www\
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
   ServerName www.someothersite.com
   DocumentRoot c:\server\someothersite\
</VirtualHost>

You might have to play around with that, particularly the end \ on directory locations might or might not be needed. I can't remember since it's been years since I used Apache on Windows.

Once you get that set up, you can use a DNS service like ZoneEdit.com to point your domain to your home IP. Then you can use a Dynamic DNS updater like DirectUpdate to keep your dynamic IP constantly synced. At least that's how I did it.

If you don't have domains yet, you can just as easily use something like no-ip (get a no-ip address and download the updater program and install it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom