Horridly slow downloads

glixon765

Baseband Member
Hey everybody, I recently bought a new computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 and 2 gigs of ram, way better than my old p4 2.8ghz and 502mb of ram. But it seems whenever I download patches for a game it only downloads at 40 kb/sec (I was able to get 100kb/sec on my old computer. Why are the downloads so slow? Would setting up a new connection help rather than just plugging in the ethernet cord? Thanks.

Mabye your ethernet settings are set slow in your bios or mabye your roommate or whoever changed your internet speed.

Aside from your network card/controller, your hardware has no effect on download speeds. It could be your ISP or maybe try updating drivers for your network controller.

how new are the updates you are downloading?? if many people are trying to get the patch from the same site at once, it will be slower. Just as an example, when i downloaded a bf2142 patch Day 1 of release, it took almost five hours, but a week later, i re-downloaded it for a second computer, and it only took 30.

So, what else could I do? I downloaded drivers but that made no difference. Someone mentioned changing the speed in the BIOS, how would I do that?

Aside from your network card/controller, your hardware has no effect on download speeds. It could be your ISP or maybe try updating drivers for your network controller.

sum freakin dumass that i am so close to punching at my school was(well he is a white boy who has a chemist as a father which i think makes him good at comps all of the sudden..........pssshwanna smack him.......)telling me(we were talking about ram btw)that his friend's cousin(im pretty sure this already sets the road for a lie.....a friend's cousin?)ok and he told me that that guy had 5gb of ram o his comp and his connection was dial up and his friend cuz of the massive ram was downloading at cable speeds...i really didnt trust him after that.:rolleyes:

Changing the speed in the BiOS has absolutely no effect on your download speeds, hardware changes have entirely no effect either. The rate at which you download things is solely based on your ISP. What's your internet provider? and what plan are you signed up for? also game patches tend to download slower since lots of players usually download new patches simultaneously which puts strains on the servers and restricts bandwidths of users.

you may have some non-optimal settings. I would install tune up utilities, and run the network/iinternet optimizer.

I have Shaw HIgh Speed and I just dont understand because before I could download things 5 times faster on a computer that was way worse than the one I have now.

I'd give Shaw High Speed a call if I were you, also are you on a wireless connection?

Back
Top Bottom