Hooking up multiple speaker systems

Frobot

Solid State Member
I have 3 sets of speakers and a "v-rocker" (a gaming chair)
I want to hook up the gaming chair and at least one set of speakers up to my computer at the same time. Kind of making my own cheap surround sound.
I have seen headphone splitters so I know it's possible, but is it safe to do this? And are there 3 or 4 way splitters?
And will the quality be split up the more speakers I add?

Edit: I just found the "Belkin rockstar multi headphone splitter" which has 5 splits. Would this be what I need?

A headphone splitter will probably work fine for what you want to do as long as it's the powered type.

The problem with splitters is that they can put enormous strain on the output amplifiers of your sound card.

If the speakers you are using are amplified, then it likely won't be much of a problem, but if you are using your sound card to drive them, then you are going to break it in fairly short order.

Why won't the other one work? Is it for power reasons or are you saying it is the wrong thing?
Because I could settle for just plugging up 2 speakers so I don't have to spend like 50 more bucks on all that.

I was involved in a similar project recently and a non-powered splitter simply wouldn't work. The signal coming out of the splitter was too low to get any kind of good sound out of the speakers. The headphone amp was the key in this situation. Your's may be different as you probably are working with different hardware.

Back
Top Bottom