Hook computer up to TV?

BK_123

Golden Master
Hi all, I have my old Acer Aspire RC500 which is designed to be used as a media pc. The computer doesn't have HDMI, It has VGA, But my main question is how will I be able to get sound through the TV from the computer. I am going to have a fiddle and see what I can do, If you need any diagrams well here is the manual containing them ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/desktop/aspire_rc500/manual/aspire-rc-uk.pdf, You need to be looking at the RC500 information.

Last edited:
Well both use optical and coaxial sound connections so you could go with that. As for the video, it appears the old tech of the PC is going to be your bane. Looks like VGA on the PC is all you got.
Unless you find a vid card that will work with that PC that has HDMI.

You can use the coax or optical audio out. Then get a video card that has DVI and run a DVI to HDMI converter to an HDMI cable if you don't want to use VGA. This is what I do but I run it to my surround reciever. It will work the same way to the TV.

There is a yellow port on the back, What would that be?
Look at the PDF you linked of the computer. Scroll down to the port layout of the RC500. Ports 3 and 4 are the audio ports. I recommend you use the optical audio (port 4) but the coaxial audio port can be used as well (port 3).

I wouldn't. Just a VGA cable and an audio cable (preferably optical audio) wouldn't cost that much and he already has the correct connections on the TV for it.

If you really don't have a VGA cable.
Amazon.com: Standard 15-Pin VGA Male to VGA Male Cable: Electronics

Optical audio cable.
Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable, 6 Feet: Electronics

That's probably a little over $10 after shipping.

If you want a digital signal, get a cheap video card that will fit in a slim style case that has DVI. It doesn't need to be a high power card, just needs DVI. Then get the DVI converter and HDMI cable, or a cable that's a direct convert.

Amazon.com: Importer520 New Gold Plated HDMI Female to DVI-D Male Video Adaptor: Electronics

Amazon.com: DVI to HDMI Cable 6ft Male-Male: Electronics

You really don't need to go expensive with these cables or you're just wasting money. Especially with a digital signal. It's either all on or all off. It's gonna look the same with a $1 cable as a $60 cable.

Back
Top Bottom