Home Website Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScrnE11

Beta member
Ok well I am a complete noob at this. I want to set up my computer as a host for a website. The website isn't big or anything and doesn't require much space. I am planning on setting up an external hardrive I have or my computer to work as the host for a domain I'll register from Godaddy.com. This is basically what I want to know:

1. You need always on internet connection like comcast right?

2. If I had my computer or my external harddrive as the host would the website go down if I turned of my computer or external harddrive?

3. Are there any security risk, if so what are they?

and Finally...

4. How do I set it up? Point me to a guide, explain it, whatever...

1. Yes. Cable and Dsl connections are slow for any websites with any traffic...
2. Yes. Your computer needs to be running at all times even if you have a external harddrive
3. There are always risks. A flaw in any software could lead to someone geting access to your computer. It is important to keep your software updated and patched. Proper hardening measures must be take too.
4. I'll let someone else handle that.

Believe me you don't need to do that. It is easier and time consuming to buy hosting plan that costs for example $2 per month. It will save time and money to you.

cheers

aeromit said:
Believe me you don't need to do that. It is easier and time consuming to buy hosting plan that costs for example $2 per month. It will save time and money to you.

cheers

I agree. You can get a higher uptime, faster servers, tools, and support if you host with a company.

I agree with the guys.Don't even think about it if you want to host a decent website.Just find a cheap web hosting company,and them handle it ;)

But if you need many features, having your own server is the way to go. I have my own server because I think it gives me more freedom, lots of space, lots of bandwidth and FTP, mssql, etc..

CoasterFuelPhil said:
But if you need many features, having your own server is the way to go. I have my own server because I think it gives me more freedom, lots of space, lots of bandwidth and FTP, mssql, etc..

Most hosts give you Mysql, ftp, and more. What is the purpose of lots of space and bandwidth when you cannot use it all? If you can only upload ~50kb/sec, then you cannot use much bandwidth in one month anyway.

I guess this applies to me only, because I also develop software, requiring active X objects and it is easier to just install it than calling your hosting company and asking them to install it for you.

jdevelop.eu said:
If you want to host a homepage on your computer, you need a static ip or get an account here http://www.dyndns.com/.

You should use the wampserver (apache, mysql, php), you can download it here http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php.

For security reasons, you should use a router and a desktop firewall. If you have any questions, you can ask me, i am using this at home.

and Xampp for linux. http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html

I like doing my own install from source, but that is good if you want a simple, easy to settup server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom