Home Server?

davidelliott

Baseband Member
Hi,

Looking for a home server to run Windows Server, looking to get one for file sharing. Music, videos etc. Might run a VPN through it for everyone in the house to. Got a budget of £80. Anyone got any recommendations of some cheap used ones?

synology makes some good stuff you maybe able to pick up a one or two bay NAS for cheap.

Just need a powerful enough server to stream media to 4 - 5 PCs in the house so not really needing any mega power machines. Needs to be running Windows Server 2008. Need to start getting experience for college. Must have space for 3.5" HDs as I have a 3.5" in my PC just now setup as a Peer-To-Peer network. Wanting a Client/Server network now.

i think its going to be very hard to get a system that will run windows 2008 for £80

Well I was able to run Windows 2008 in a virtual environment with If I remember correctly 512MB of RAM. I have looked on eBay for some servers and for example this one.

Arima Rioworks HDAMA Server Dual Opteron 250 32/64 Bit on eBay (end time 21-Jan-11 16:15:16 GMT)

Clearly I will have to buy some RAM and most likely a small hard drive for the OS as I have a 3.5" SATA HD full of my files. This is a blade, a tower is preferable but if worse comes to the worse I will just have to sit it flat on top of a desk.

Or:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140468493333&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Back
Top Bottom