Home Server (NAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Fox

OCZ SSD Enthusiast
Okay I want to get a NAS (Network Attached Storage) to hold all of my media files. Music and videos mostly.

Requirements:
at least: 6 SATA 1tb hard drives (only 3 tb total)(wanted to do raid 1 + 0)
Small form factor
Quiet
Be able to stream to any device in house (Windows PC, Mac, TV, etc)

I have two options: First, I could just buy one from a manufacturer...the most reliable I've seen have been Buffalo and Netgear. The two I've been looking at are:
RNDP600U
LinkStation Pro Quad LS-QVL/R5 Network Storage | Buffalo Technology

Or I could build my own:
I've had considerable trouble finding things that work. I'm not really good with small form factors...but here's what I have so far.
Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-Q08B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - ZOTAC H67ITX-C-E LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-2100T Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz 2 x 256KB L2 Cache 3MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 35W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32100T
Newegg.com - iStarUSA TC-400PD8 20+4Pin 400W Single PS2 ATX High Efficiency Switching Server Power Supply - Server Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (x6)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-2GBNQ
Newegg.com - ASUS Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A7T/BLK/B/GEN - CD / DVD Drives

Which comes out to be: $916.70 w/ s&h

With the custom build I was thinking about using FreeNAS and it seems to have all the features that I need. Netgear's NAS has x-raid which, to my understanding, allows for expandable storage so I can just add another drive and I'm good to go. However, price wise, custom build seems to be more sensible as it's cheaper and it already has drives.

Basically I want to know what I should do, if the parts I put together will work, and if there is any other better solution that anyone else has.

I'm leaning towards the custom build at the moment...all the parts are compatible right? (enough power cables for drives,etc) and will that power supply fit in that case properly...it says it supports PS/2 ATX...any more suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom