home networking. bridge connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, i have two computers i need to connect together to share files and internet. i have a spare lan cable, but when i connect the two nothing happens.:eek: on one of them there is two lan cards, one connected to router, and one connected to other computer. shouldnt it connect the other computer to the internet if i were to use the bridge connections feature? or why dosent it work? im using cables bought from big lots(gotta love their $7.99 25 ft ethernet cables:D) help please? one is a gaming pc, one is to slow for everything, so its just for email, and thats the one that needs connection to the internet. any help would be greatley apreaciated. also here is a pic of how the lan is currently set up...oop, my bad, im talkng about the ones in the top right of the pic. forgot to label that

If you are connecting two PCs directly together you need to use a crossover cable, not a straight through Ethernet cable.

bmxfreakrider said:
k i did a google on crossover cable, and is it possible to make a standard ethernet cable a crossover cable? or will it not work right?

Sure you can but do you have the tools and the extra end(s) (More than 1 in case you do it wrong the first time)?

It may be a lot easier to just go out an buy a crossover cable for yourself that has been already made and tested.

Yes, if you don't know what you are doing, it can seem overwhelming, and be frustrating, as I GAURENTEE you will make mistakes the first few times... They are not hard once you have done a few. Actually, I made a crossover cable last night out of a straight-through so a friend could move old files from an old PC to a new PC... cut one end off and converted it from 568B to 568A.

You would need:
The cable
an RJ-45 Crimper
and cable ends

If you don't think you will be making cables or replacing ends often, it would be cheaper to just by a cross-over cable...
IN FACT, I suggest that you purchase a few of THESE. With these adapters, ALL of your cables will be straight-through, and just that little adaptor converts it to crossover. At $3.50 a pop, they are cheaper than cables too...

ive done the entire network in this house. had to route it thru the attic, 4 jacks, software, hardware, just outta cable for attic, and connectors, plus the wall jack in the room with the router is for 2, and the one for 4 is like 5 bux, plus i have to go buy cable, connectors, and oteher stuff. ill try the crossover cable a little later, ive been busy cleaning around here, the 4th gota little crazy, so as soon as im done with that . and actually that link u gave me is 12, still a good price, but if ican do it for free, then i do it, like xbox controller adapter(www.freewebs.com/bmxfreakrider/xboxcontrolleronpc.htm) and a usb adapter for a motorola v300 cell phone, pc in an xbox, etc... it goes on, but ill try that later.
o yea, we also got all the tools, and a few connectors could come in handy(they get smashed,broken, tabs come off)

DOH... I do see that now.. they get you on shipping.. the page listed them as $3.51... You could probably find the same type of thing for less elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom