Home Network

sbushell7

Solid State Member
Hello,

I currently have 1 computer in my house and 1 laptop, both with wireless cards installed, using a wireless route

I have orded a new computer from dell and want to turn my old xp machine into a server (well what i can store all my files on).

The New desktop will run Vista Home Premium and the laptop runs Vista Ultimate.

Preferably I want to keep all the computers wireless, but am willing to change;)

I have alseo read that linux might be the way to go...

Please help me....................

Do you know about Linux servers? Windows 2000/2003 Servers are best for beginners.

Where abouts do you live, I might have a disc you will be interested in..

Hello,

I currently have 1 computer in my house and 1 laptop, both with wireless cards installed, using a wireless route

I have orded a new computer from dell and want to turn my old xp machine into a server (well what i can store all my files on).

The New desktop will run Vista Home Premium and the laptop runs Vista Ultimate.

Preferably I want to keep all the computers wireless, but am willing to change;)

I have alseo read that linux might be the way to go...

Please help me....................

Doing this is pretty simple, you just need to share a folder and mount that folder from other computers. Guide for this here (level 5)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

However you may need to turn this on, so go to my computer > tools > view > unclick use simple file sharing

I'd also recommend setting your computer to a static IP

yea that ways the simplest ^. doesnt require server 03 and should suit the needs of a basic home user

Could the computer that would act as a server be wireless? and do i really need to use a monitor or could i just set the computer up and then just leave it(unplug the monitor,keyboard,mouse, etc....)

Could the computer that would act as a server be wireless? and do i really need to use a monitor or could i just set the computer up and then just leave it(unplug the monitor,keyboard,mouse, etc....)

Yes you could use Wireless, however it will totally murder your speeds.

And yes, you don't need a monitor, and on most computers you don't need a keyboard or mouse either (however a few computers will not boot without a keyboard).

Back
Top Bottom