hmmm my comp isnt seeing the HDD : / Need help!

SpadeXL

Baseband Member
ok I have a computer that is running a 2.4ghz P4

The mainboard is the Asus P4S533-X BIOS (Award V6.0)
I took aprt this comp and made a new one. I am now putting it back together and the old HDD that was in it as well as the new 160gb drive I just got for it dont work.

Now I put my windows XP pro disc in and it sees the drive and allowed me to format the HDD. when it was done and I removed the disc. I rebooted and it comes up that the HDD isnt there. I go into my BIOS and after a few secs it sees the HDD. Wester Digital 80 gig and then I tried it with the 160gig drive and it sees it.

My problem is when I boot my comp it doesnt see the drive is there and gives me the INVALID SYSTEM DISK ERROR. So I can not get to the windows install. I only use one drive. and the jumper is set to MASTER and the IDE cables I use are Ultra ATA-133 and I have an EIDE ATA Drive. WTF is going on??? lol

anyone have an idea on what to do?

sk8ngame said:

Not what I asked :p

and going SATA on this little comp isnt going to happen. It is just an extra one I desided to hook up.

Anyone know why this is happening?

Sorry i was just messing wit u :D

Could be bad cables, or maybe even bad hdd, how old is the comp u scrapped it from?
This all depends on the age of this equipment

sk8ngame said:
Sorry i was just messing wit u :D

Could be bad cables, or maybe even bad hdd, how old is the comp u scrapped it from?
This all depends on the age of this equipment

The equip is in good condition. I always keep them working. It just came out of an older case and was working fine like 3 weeks ago. I always store them safely as well. and I just bought this 160 gig WD HDD today like 4 hours ago.
and I have tried 5 cables and nothing is getting them to work. Tried the old cables that always worked with it. Tried new cables I just got and some I had stored away.

sk8ngame said:
Well theres your problem, WD sucks, I've had 3 WD hdds, all of which failed :(
go with maxtor

I am sorry to say Maxtor are one of the worst drives out there. I have had 3 of there drives burn out on me.
Wester Digital and Seagate are the world leaders in HDD's man. Not to mention the highest quality.

Anyone out there know why my HDD is not being seen on boot? It is seen in the bios and the windows XP Pro CD was able to format it. Just when I boot it doesnt detect. Some real advise would be nice for a change :)

I figured it out.... God I feel like a newb...

I have the HDD on the Primary Master cable by itself. and the cd rom drives are on the secondary. Well I left the master jumper on the HDD. When the HDD is all by itself on the primary ribbon the jumper must be removed..... I feel so blah....

Back
Top Bottom