hiya all

evanstueve

Solid State Member
Processor Help

hey. Im new to these forums. I found these when I searched google and I thought id give it a shot.

So anyway, I have a 2 year old computer that ive been using nonstop from things to streaming music to playing mmorpgs. I play EQ and CoH pretty frequently and want to have a good setup to eventually run games like Worlds of Warcraft or EverQuest 2. I wanted to get a processor that will be the MOST increase in performance for these games. Currently I have about a $250 limit on a processor. ATM I use a 1.4GHz and I have a lot of room for improving. Im looking for the processor that will give me the best bang for the buck for what I have to spend for what I plan on using it for.

Thanks!

oh and to add - Id like to spend $150-$190ish because I want some money left over but 250 is still alright :)

If I were you I'd go with the AMD 64 3000. It runs for about 230$. I really wouldn't go with much less if you plan on running games like Everquest 2. If you want you could always go with a cheaper, but still quality CPU like the AMD Athlon 3000, or 3200, and overclock it. BTW the Athlon 3000 is about 140$ and the 3200 is 181$. Any more questions let me know!

if you get an amd 64, you will spend WAY more in the end. you will need a 64bit motherboard, ram, processor, OS. you cant put an amd 64 in a athlon xp motherboard. go with the athlon xp 2800 or higher.

r

I think im going with Athlon AMD Xp 3200+ 2.2ghz 400fsb 512kb cache for $181.. if theres any other better choices let me know :)

/\ what do you think about that? please feel free to find something better or correct me im assuming the Athlon Xp 3.2k+ 2.2 etc is the best thing i can get fir 181 dollars

i'd say thats a smart move. just make sure it'll work in your motherboard.

Re: r

evanstueve said:
I think im going with Athlon AMD Xp 3200+ 2.2ghz 400fsb 512kb cache for $181.. if theres any other better choices let me know :)
You'll need to get another Motherboard if you do that. AMD XP 3200+ is a different build of AMD Card and will need a newer Motherboard that that of which you would have at 2 years old.

Best idea would be to look at your Motherboard Manual and see what build of Card it takes - and find the fastest in that build. Then it will certainly work.

Back
Top Bottom