High Video Card Temperatures

ChaosPsychoGame

Baseband Member
I just got a 7800 GTX and it runs really hot when I'm playing Doom III or World of Warcraft. It goes 71-72 on max settings, and 74-75 when I OC it. Are these temperatures too high? BTW, on idle it's still 50 degrees C according to the program that came with it.

Well, I have an eVGA 7800GT and it doesn't run near that hot. Mine idles at about 41 Celsius and will go up to about 60 Celsius with Quake 4 on high settings and Far Cry maxed out.

Those temperatures aren't too bad, though, they definitely aren't hurting the card any. Unless the maximum temperatures are significantly different between the GT and the GTX.

I dont know if this is the "maximum", but I know that it came with a preset threshold, and if it ever got that hot, it notifies you immediately. And the threshold is 115 degrees C. So I should be safe with these temperatures, and not have to worry about damaging the card? It plays games like WC: FT on the same temperature as idle, but it's just games like Quake 4, Doom 3, WoW, etc. that produce these high temperatures, and mostly when they are on max settings. And I assumed the OC was fine since it only raised the temperature 4 degrees even when under heavy load.

Back
Top Bottom