Hi, another needing help

Shropford

Solid State Member
Hi, looks a useful place to get the answers.
My Current problem must be a common problem and searching the web for answers it is all a bit technical... but you lot popped up in the list... must be fate lol.
I have a desktop that has gone bang... what is wrong I have no idea, woke up 3 days ago and all the sockets had tripped in the house and the desktop wont re-start... not too bothered as it is a few years old and have bought another.
I would guess that some of you know where this is going now and I am sure this has been asked before and I have tried searching for relevant threads but no joy.
I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200 Gbytes hardrive that I have managed with great skill (undid 2 screws) to remove from the desktop.
What do I need to buy (leads, cases) to at the very least be able to recover the data/photos etc... if I can use it as an external hard drive then great as I have bought a computer that will run 2 screens... (I think that brings me in to the 1990's at least lool)
None to technical please and if it helps I am UK based.

what was the cable like that went in to drive in the old PC? was is a fat ribbon type.

Clicky

or thin cable type. clicky

Also could u post a link to machine u have bought.

what was the cable like that went in to drive in the old PC? was is a fat ribbon type.

Clicky

or thin cable type. clicky

Also could u post a link to machine u have bought.

see now you going all technical on me lool.
ok think I can do this one. The power lead has 5 individual cables running into the connector of various colours.
The data lead going to the motherboard is thin and attaches to the drive onto 4 round pins. Defo not one of them fat ones.
The machine I have bought is:
FAST DELL 5.6Ghz DUAL CORE 3GB DESKTOP PC TOWER SFF MINI COMPUTER NEW ATI GFX XP | eBay

Hello there.

I guess it doesn't hurt if it is either IDE or SATA (the ones on the clikies; credits to Ja6on). Converters are available every where, and good brand motherboards tend to provide it OEM. Or maybe I'm missing something?

You can add that HDD (hard drive) to the new system and use it as extra storage device. It will appear as a separate drive in "My Computer". In this case yours ha ha. But make it secondary not the system drive simply because it is old.

Or you can get yourself an external SATA/IDE to USB kit that provides converters between the two connection types if you don't wanna keep that old HDD. Something like these:
USB 2 0 to SATA IDE 2 5" 3 5" External Adapter Transfer Cable Kit DVD Hard Disk | eBay

Hello there.

I guess it doesn't hurt if it is either IDE or SATA (the ones on the clikies; credits to Ja6on). Converters are available every where, and good brand motherboards tend to provide it OEM. Or maybe I'm missing something?

You can add that HDD (hard drive) to the new system and use it as extra storage device. It will appear as a separate drive in "My Computer". In this case yours ha ha. But make it secondary not the system drive simply because it is old.

Or you can get yourself an external SATA/IDE to USB kit that provides converters between the two connection types if you don't wanna keep that old HDD. Something like these:
USB 2 0 to SATA IDE 2 5" 3 5" External Adapter Transfer Cable Kit DVD Hard Disk | eBay

Now stop it... starting to lose me lool
I have posted a couple of linkies and stuff and they need approval from moderators... includes a pic of one like mine... I figured I could use it as an external and no wont be primary... main thing is photos and stuff I would like to recover (kids and things (no telling off for not backing up)
I have seen that converters and stuff are everywhere but have no idea which ones I need as they do tech speak... looool
Looking at the dates inside the computer it is 2005
I do understand about it being a seperate drive in 'My Computer' and reckon I could just about manage to work that lool

Last edited:
I was typing my post when you posted yours. Sorry I missed it. And really sorry for screwing everything instead (ouch :D)

That interface is SATA.

If you wanna use it as a general use external drive, you can get a case for it that converts it to USB. Just make sure it supports SATA drives. If you just wanna have those files on your new computer, just install the drive as non-system drive to it. It will fit no worries, provided that the case has the space and there is a free SATA power and data cable inside.

The main internal storage interface these days is still SATA, the same of 2005. It just changed internally to provide faster connection, but nothing physically.

Frankly, I feel like I'm mixing things up here. Hopefully I understood what you want originally.

Frankly, I feel like I'm mixing things up here. Hopefully I understood what you want originally.

No, No, you are doing fine... getting me there lool.. as I can use it for an external drive I may as well do this as it is a decent size and can store more on it...

But I have decided I want a spec like yours.... (sneaked a peek)... I don't quite know what all those big numbers and monitors are for but figured if I get one the same I could take on the US Government looool... but one step at a time I'm off to look for a case loooooooool

Back
Top Bottom