HHD failure or W7MC flaking out then recovers

stevethebrain

In Runtime
HHD failure or W7MC flaking out then recovers
PC specs in sig. PC is only connected to net to DL latest TV guide listings then
Disconnected from net.

I use this PC as a TV DVR have about 300 recorded programs on the H HDD total recorded programs is over 1100.

This 2TB H drive is a western black edition purchased as preowned refurbished I also have the 1TB version both used well over 5 years as a daily record/watch/delete storage drive no problems w/ either until recently.

I look at the # of recorded programs and see 800 well looks like the H drive disappeared again (this has happened 2 previous times) so I do my best known fix to restore to earlier time then the H reappears alone w/ the 300 recorded programs.

The drive is used everyday (almost) and old however I have a lot of excellent recorded programs that I'd like to watch.

1.How can I test this drive?

2.Should I be transferring Hs content to another drive soon to ensure saving?

3.The PC is 2.0USB so transferring w/ a external HDD will take a few days for almost 2TB of recorded programs correct?

I could dissconnect another achieved drive and use it's SATA port and have intrenal drive.

Thanks STB

Last edited:
Yep been there got the T Shirt. I would be transferring your stuff to a NEW hard drive. I had a similar problem with a 3 Tb HDD. I bought a program from Seagate to recover mine as the freebies didn't want to know. And yes you are right it will take ages.. Mine took three days LOL. Having said that as long as your drive is still working you shouldn't need a recovery program.

I read the entire post and I didn't get the problem. You should try to be more concise. In that spirit, could you please tell us:

• Exactly what the problem is
  • Which drives are failing
  • If you made any software or hardware changes before this happened

Now, to answer the questions:

1. The best way to test hardware is to use it with another machine. This is also a good place to start: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-test-hard-drive-for-problems-2626130, or this https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001091.htm
  2. You should have a backup of everything anyways. If it's too much data you could just select a few items and back those ones up. If not, then your shows are at risk because a million things could happen and those shows would be lost.
  3. Yes. Considering the storage device you are planning on using can use the full bandwidth of USB 2.0 (they usually don't) then it would take a little over 9 hours.

basicalley I have 3 storage drives the faulty one is H: there are approshemently 300 shows some good some OK I probablly will start double save (like on save on 2 differnt drives) the good shows.

the H seans to dissapear then reappear like day 1 I have the 1100 show then on day 2 I lose the H and then only have the 800.

see I record all my car racing which is broadcast same time of year as NFL football.

I don't watch alot of sports but when NFL season is over I don't watch basket ball but replay the car racing.

edit:I have this new HDD coming
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAEE3XE0745

didn't want to take a chance on a drive bigger than 2TB I've read windows 7 won't reconize these large drives well.

thanks for HDD diagnoistics I'll be reading up on HDD.STB

Last edited:
So you have only 1 faulty drive. That should discard a software issue. You should try using different ports on your motherboard, and different SATA cables. Maybe it's just that. Otherwise, try the software tools and ultimately, if you can, try it in a different computer.

In the spirit of not losing data, you should do some research on RAID configurations. Some configurations are designed for redundancy, so files are copied and spread among drives. If one fails, the files will still be available to you from other drives, usually useful in situations where instant availability of data is crucial, but you could exploit that too, if you think that's the way to go.

Unable to Test the H drive in another PC. My portable LT is my only other PC.

I could maybe interface the 3.5” w/ a SATA/USB cable.

The old H drive has been working fine lately it's temporarily housed (actually has always been in the tray) in my hotswapable HDD tray so the SATA port is proven to function.

I finalley received my new HDD inforchantly it was DOA my computer doesn't recognize it using the H drives tray.

Do brand new western digital HDDs usalley don't come in packaging from manufacture
But just a antistatic bag? If I remember correctly the 3 other 2TB stoage drives did come only w/ anit static bag, only the extremale drive came in packaging.

Anyway I'm sending this drive back for a replacement.
thanks STB

Do brand new western digital HDDs usalley don't come in packaging from manufacture
But just a antistatic bag? If I remember correctly the 3 other 2TB stoage drives did come only w/ anit static bag, only the extremale drive came in packaging.

thanks STB

Depends if it is a retail unit or a bulk unit. Retail gets the nice protective packaging but costs more.

Unable to Test the H drive in another PC. My portable LT is my only other PC.

I could maybe interface the 3.5” w/ a SATA/USB cable.

The old H drive has been working fine lately it's temporarily housed (actually has always been in the tray) in my hotswapable HDD tray so the SATA port is proven to function.

I finalley received my new HDD inforchantly it was DOA my computer doesn't recognize it using the H drives tray.

thanks STB

I'm afraid I don't remember how WD drives come.

You shouldn't refer to drives as "The H drive" or "The C drive". Letters are dynamic and don't always mean what you think they mean. It is very hard to understand what you are trying to say.

I have been away for a while. Are there any updates on the problem?

the company has agreed to send out a replacement for the DOA HDD

then I return defective HDD, seams like they would expect the HDD returned first.

to be continued STB

Back
Top Bottom