Hey

LemmyKoopa

Beta member
I shall introduce myself. I will be using the name LemmyKoopa, I am more of a lurker than anything else - but I surely like to read Tech Forums. I often search Google to see if they have any answers to my questions. Unfortunately, when it comes to encryption no real results come back for the questions at hand. I figured I'd try asking you.

All of these questions relate to two versions of windows - Windows 7 Enterprise, and Windows 7 Ultimate edition.

We will start with first question.

So my question is, with Bitlocker drive encryption comes the option to encrypt entire partitions. I have quite a few drives laying around, i'd say about 8-10 terabytes worth. I just mirror most of my data on the drives more than once. Google doesn't seem to answer simple questions that people who invest their time in Bitlocker or other encryption programs might want to know. These questions include :

How does Bitlocker handle bad sectors on a technical level? Does it remap them somewhere else? Or are they just marked as lost. Are they handled differently at all? Keywords bitlocker and bad sectors really don't return much useful. Will Bitlocker drives still be accessible if a few bad sectors happen to form over time?

How does Truecrypt handle the same, regarding the question above?

How does bitlocker handle system restore points? I'm talking about the ones where you right click on Computer, go to properties and see under system protection. I am *not* talking about an entire system image. It seems every single result on google assumes you want a 'system image'. I merely might want to set my computer back to a restore point I created in system protection, 2 days ago. Will bitlocker give me any trouble if I wish to do this, in regards to an encrypted system drive? Can I go create a point, type 'restore', then restore back to that point a day later? Or does bitlocker prevent that? Can I just authenticate it at startup, and continue on as planned?

How will truecrypt handle the above scenario, with regards to system restore points?

If Bitlocker is encrypting a drive and the power is interrupted, or the drive is unplugged - does that cause damage or problems 100% of the time? If the drive continues to encrypt like nothing happened upon restoring power, is it safe to assume that no damage occurred if there is no bad sectors? Some people make it seem like if the power is cut during encryption, it just freezes up and never works again every time. I am almost positive that is not always the case. At least I know of drives being encrypted, that continued on with no problems at all.

Thank you for your time, hope you are able to answer these.

Back
Top Bottom