helprecover[at]foxmail[dot]com

ROFLMAO. No, not the owner, just the chief keystone cop.

I broke the news to my wife and she took it rather well. She is hoping she can find a copy of her budget spreadsheet that isn't too far out of date as that is what is her main concern. Today I pulled the old drive and put it away, nuked the new M.2, and reinstalled Win10, Office, etc.

Married 33.5 years so far.

Right on is this a laptop?

Trotter is the owner of the site. He gonna ban yo *** lol
I am waiting patiently!

Last edited:
ROFLMAO. No, not the owner, just the chief keystone cop.

I broke the news to my wife and she took it rather well. She is hoping she can find a copy of her budget spreadsheet that isn't too far out of date as that is what is her main concern. Today I pulled the old drive and put it away, nuked the new M.2, and reinstalled Win10, Office, etc.

Married 33.5 years so far.
M.2 nice. Have you got a external drive for backups or cloud like onedrive?

OneCloud is set up and I am ordering a drive to put into a D-Link ShareCenter that I have lying around. I will be setting hers up to back up to the ShareCenter as well as my own as I current backup to a secondary drive in my computer but now see that something like this would wreck me as well.

Doing back ups....why do we put that off as long as we can until we realize it is already too late?
One Cloud will help. Don't forget to encrypt any personal data

OneCloud is set up and I am ordering a drive to put into a D-Link ShareCenter that I have lying around. I will be setting hers up to back up to the ShareCenter as well as my own as I current backup to a secondary drive in my computer but now see that something like this would wreck me as well.

also good to set your wife up with a standard account to use on the computer, and show her how to elevate access when required.

This will help prevent execution of ransomware.

also good to set your wife up with a standard account to use on the computer, and show her how to elevate access when required.

This will help prevent execution of ransomware.
no... that is a cruel joke.
If you look around on the interwebs, you'll see that Windows UAC is the most easily thing to bypass through a simple script. Avoiding ransomeware is best avoided through knowing not to trust any kind of emails and avoiding on clicking on ads from places like Facebook

no... that is a cruel joke.
If you look around on the interwebs, you'll see that Windows UAC is the most easily thing to bypass through a simple script. Avoiding ransomeware is best avoided through knowing not to trust any kind of emails and avoiding on clicking on ads from places like Facebook

No UAC is not easy to bypass. your throwing words out just because you read "thehackernews" or something about PoC scripts hackers make.

If you understand how these type scripts works you'd know it tends to relies on app a user would have installed with flawed DLLs or DIR permissions. so not having that app reduces the risk of a UAC bypass, and at the same time, to even install a vulnerable app you need a PRIVILEGED account!

Yes there are vulnerabilities that can compromise anything, but you never suggest to not use a security controls! defense in depth is the concept to follow.

The first thing anyone should do weather it is personal or work desktop is to create and use a standard account and use a privileged account only to elevate access when needed, this also helps provide visibility of some processes that may be silently trying to use elevated privileges where you wouldn't expect .

And as you rightly mentioned stay aware of what your browsing, and question the prompts a site may show you or a site may auto download to your computer etc.

:cool:

Last edited:
No UAC is not easy to bypass. your throwing words out just because you read "thehackernews" or something about PoC scripts hackers make.

If you understand how these type scripts works you'd know it tends to relies on app a user would have installed with flawed DLLs or DIR permissions. so not having that app reduces the risk of a UAC bypass, and at the same time, to even install a vulnerable app you need a PRIVILEGED account!

Yes there are vulnerabilities that can compromise anything, but you never suggest to not use a security controls! defense in depth is the concept to follow.

The first thing anyone should do weather it is personal or work desktop is to create and use a standard account and use a privileged account only to elevate access when needed, this also helps provide visibility of some processes that may be silently trying to use elevated privileges where you wouldn't expect .

And as you rightly mentioned stay aware of what your browsing, and question the prompts a site may show you or a site may auto download to your computer etc.

:cool:
o.k. Do whatever you want to believe. Be Happy!
How to Run Program without Admin Privileges and to Bypass UAC Prompt? | Windows OS Hub

I think we mixed communications. what you posted bypass UAC prompt for a standard user! noone cares about that, it does not provide privileged access, I should of been more clearer.

"Then the Registry Editor should start without the UAC request. If you open the Task Manager and add the Elevated column, you will see that there is the regedit.exe process in the system without the elevated status (run with standard user permissions).

Try to edit any parameter in the HKLM registry hive. As you can see, a user cannot edit the registry in this registry key (the user doesn't have write permissions to the system registry hives). But you can add or edit registry keys and parameters in your user branch — HKCU."

From the site you linked, clearly doesnt provide priv access.

So my statement is still correct and always will be correct, create standard acc, and elevate when required.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom