Help!!

Whyfly??

Daemon Poster
Help!!!

Ok so my grandma works at this school, and they were throwing out their computers, so I decided to just grab one since my parents didn't have one.
Now the computer is not that bad, it has already worked, and it fit their needs.
The problem is it broke.
When i turn it on I see the Motherboard light come on, and the fans start spinning etc. etc.
But I get no visual.
The motherboards don't have an onboard video card. It has some cheapo card in it from what I can see.
Is this a video card problem? It sure as heck seems like it.

Sorry about blurry pictures, but they still show the card. It is a Nvidia P118

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I don't see anything pysically wrong with it unless there is charring that I can't see. Otherwise it looks like a typical AGP card to me.

Have you tried re-seating the RAM?

I don't see anything pysically wrong with it unless there is charring that I can't see. Otherwise it looks like a typical AGP card to me.

Have you tried re-seating the RAM?

Hold on let me try.
We got this computer free,so it's cool cause I can mess with it without worries.
Let me check the RAM.

Edit: I switched the RAM and the screen came up!
It is stuck at the Boot Menu where it says Gateway, so I'll just pop in the CD and reboot the system.
I'll be back here it the boot doesn't work.
Thank you!

Ok it seems to be stuck.
It gets stuck at the Gateway screen where you click F10 for boot, or F2 for BIOS.
I popped in the Gateway CD, and restarted and started clicking F10 but nothing happens.
Now what?

don't you just have to wait and it says press any key to boot from CD and/or DVD?

don't you just have to wait and it says press any key to boot from CD and/or DVD?

It only hangs at Boot menu, even if I click F10 it stays.
Here is what I did.
Unplugged my IDE Cd-drive, but kept the SATA hard drive in.
Took out RAM, video Card (No ONBOARD), Sound card, and the Wireless Network Card.
I then booted it up, I got some kind of beeping, I googled it and that means it says there's no RAM, so motherboard is good. I plugged in RAM and I was supposed to hear some beeping meaning that my card is not being detected. I did not get beeping, and the internet says that means I need new RAM.
It's only like $15 for 256 mb of DDR ram (Pc3200) so I am just going to get new RAM.
Am I doing it right?

Fixed it :)
Bought new RAM, didn't work.
Put it in different slots, it worked.
Tried same with old RAM it didn't work at all.
So now it is with new RAM.
It's pretty funny this computer can be almost considered custom built.
Sound Card, RAM, Hard Drive, CD Drive, Wireless Card, and a new fan.
Lol

Back
Top Bottom