Help with Vista. Can you go back to XP?

That will be the cause of your problem then, not enough ram. Your page file must get flogged unmercifully just running Vista let alone anything else.

MICROSOFT

Some features available in the premium editions of Windows Vista—like the new Windows Aero user experience—may require advanced or additional hardware.

A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:

A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
512 MB of system memory.
A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.

A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
1 GB of system memory.
Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)2, Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel.

Being as how Vista Ultimate (RC1 & 2) is one of the "premium" versions it would explain why you're getting a slow response when using it.

Vista Mem Use - Idle

vistamemuseidleii0.jpg

Vista Mem Use - Company of Heroes

vistamemusecohds2.jpg

I thought I'd drop a couple of pics in to support my point, CoH is running with all settings on high but only 20 or so units at the start of a campaign map so it is not indicative of "full load", still it is enough to make me consider 3GB of ram.

Wow, I can't even use my printer with Vista!!!

Installing a cheap Photo software that came with my printer took about 10 minutes. Then found out it wasn't capeable of working with Vista so it took another 10 mins to unistall.

I can't print anything. Wow. Will they make drivers for issues like this?

This is getting so furstrading. I need XP back!!

The drivers will probably be sorted for the release next year(at least the big manufacturers will). This is one of the reasons i removed vista, coz its got crap driver support at the min. And their new licencing is a joke. I wont be upgrading any time soon :)

Dont know if it matters but I was looking to dual boot vista on my laptop and when it came time to create a new partition it wants to format and create a new one it is not giving me the option to do anything else but to delete the partition and format for a clean install.

Well,

I had to borrow my friends XP. Had to call and call because I dont have the money to buy a new one now.

At first, it wasn't installed correctly. It installed like it was Windows 98. Old school and nothing on the desktop. I tried to connect to the internet, and nothing happened.

Some error came up during installation where Windows XP couldn't delete something from Vista. So I just deleted everything on the hard drive, and booted the computer with the XP disk. Took overnight, but installation worked.

john_towne2001 said:
Dont know if it matters but I was looking to dual boot vista on my laptop and when it came time to create a new partition it wants to format and create a new one it is not giving me the option to do anything else but to delete the partition and format for a clean install.
This will be because there is no unpartitioned free space to create the new partition in, if you wish to resize a partition to create free space you'll need a third party app like Partition Magic to do so, otherwise your Windows installation may be damaged.

On the other side, if you back up all your data then delete and receate your partition (but smaller for XP) then reinstall you can then from within XP create a partition on the unpartitioned space for Vista through Disk Management (remember the minimum for a Vista partition is 15GB so be sure to leave at least 16GB free when you make your XP partition, I would recommend 20GB at least) You can then install Vista to dual boot.

Vista alters your MBR to the new BCD method and if you wish to alter the boot order etc try this little app EasyBCD

Back
Top Bottom