Help with Video Editing Suite... RAID, RAM, Case, PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillyness

Beta member
Help with My Gaming/Editing Suite

OK folks... here's the deal.

I haven't modified my computer for 5 years (homebuilt) until a little while ago. I got a new video card a while ago (9800Pro w/ AGP) which sped it up a little, but there are too many bottlenecks. I'm just getting into video editing, which I love to do, as well as some fairly complex games, and want a fast machine for it. Here's the setup I have picked out right now:

Athlon 64 3500+

Thermaltake Venus 12 for cooling

Arctic 5 Silver Thermal Compund

Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra Mobo (I have that AGP video card)
-Dual Channel DDR400 RAM
-2 x SATA
-4 x PATA
-ALL 6 HDD can be set up in RAID
-Hardware firewall
-Built in Firewire

OCZ Performance Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
DDR 400

XION XION II XON-103 Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Antec NeoPower ATX 480W Power Supply

2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380817AS 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150
***These 2 drives on RAID 0, partitioned for OS and Data

1 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L200P0 200GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133
***This drive for raw data storage and backup of the RAID 0
array

I already have:

Hitec Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB Ice-Q

2 x Duel Layer DVD Burners w/ LightScribe

Are there any glaring problems with this setup? Will it be fast for video editing? This is my first experience with RAID... heck... I've never even partitioned a drive before!!!

Also... if I change the file properties of "My Documents" to the partitioned data portion of the partitioned drive, will it automatically save everything to this partition or will the OS lose the file?

Any suggestions on setting it up? A different case or will I like this one? I picked it because it has 2 x 120mm fans and 1x80mm fan, front USB, and Firewire. Will it come with cables to hook up the front USB/Firewire ports? I don't think the Mobo does.

Thanks for helping the ignorant.

Also... request any suggestions on how to set up the RAID... thinking OS and applications on a 40GB partition of RAID 0 drives, the other 120GB for working with the video etc..., and the 200 GB PATA133 drive for backing up data and for dumping raw video camera footage onto.

Anyone who has a better idea on how to utilize the HDDs please speak up!!! Like I said, this is all new to me!!!

AGP or PCI-E?

Sorry... one more...

Am I wasting my time upgrading all this stuff and sticking with my 9800 Pro AGP card??? It's gonna cost around $800 to build the entire computer with AGP... I could go with a decent PCI-E card and build it for $1000.

Should I sell off my almost new 9800Pro and get a PCI-E card and start over with a PCI-E Mobo that supports SATA 3.0GB drives instead of the SATA150 drives that my selected board will support?

Will I see any performance differences in the next several years or should I go with AGP and wait for the next big thing to replace PCI-E?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom