Help with video card driver!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dysis

Solid State Member
I'm a beginner when it comes to computers, so please be patient with me. ^_^;;

I know that my video card needs software, but I believe I just unistalled it. I had ATI, but after getting some updates off the internet, it began acting funny. A window showing me ATI folders would pop up every time I logged onto my computer. I knew something was wrong, so I uninstalled ATI. Is there anyway I could download this software back onto my computer? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Also, I noticed that when I open up the DirectX Diagnostic Toolbox and click on the display tab, all the fields under "Device" come up as "n/a", when before I unistalled ATI, each of those fields had some information in it. I just thought that extra information might help some people figure out how to help me.

To know if your driver has been uninstalled just try playing a 3d game..

if the game crashes then you need to install a driver
the good thing is that with video drivers all nVidia cards Can be run by the same driver from nvidia.com or omegadrivers.net the same for ATI

try to install the driver normally if you had a problem we will do it the hard way PM me

The thing is, I'm not sure what kind of card I have. I believe I have a Radeon 9000 or so... I treid looking for my video card in the Device Manager. My device manager keeps telling me I have two "Video Controllers"; just a plain "Video Controller" and a "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)." When I click on one of them for more information, it tells me that the device is not "configured properly."

I'm pretty sure it's not normal to have two video controllers - is it? (Am I even looking at the right thing if I want to find my video card?)

Thank you guys for your help, by the way. Once I find out what card I have, I can just go to the one of the sites you guys mentioned (the one compatible with my card, of course ;) ) and download the driver, right?

EDIT: Yup, I have Windows XP. ^_^ And, yes, I have a game that I tried playing recently - it crashed, unfortunately, so I'm pretty sure I unistalled the driver. I think the computer is using the generic video card driver because the screen doesn't look the way it used to.

sound like you might have an all in wonder card. does it have a cable connection?

I don't know if it has a cable connection... How can I check for that?

EDIT: I also tried the MS-DOS prompt to find out the type of card I have. I typed in "debug
-d c000:0040", but I didn't get information about my video card. Then I typed in "-d c000:0090", and I learned that the card was made by ATI Technologies, and that's about all i know so far. The rest I didn't understand, although I have it written down if it turns out to be important.

this kinda look like it except with a coaxial cable connector
7500_aiw_64mb_ddr_agp_pal_end.jpg

this is one
b3_1_b.jpg

download the ATI Radeon drivers for XP and install that. You should be ok from there. The two video controller thing is related to it multiple outputs. I have several ATI cards that do that and it's for the dual head output in my case.
Hope that helps you get going...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom