Help with Home Server Build

baffu

Beta member
Hello all,

I am currently considering buying the components to make a home server. Let me first describe what I am hoping to have the server do!

The server will be located in my home (as the title suggests) and will primarily exist to provide a networked storage location. I am hoping to also set up a section of the hard drive to act like a time capsule (for mac backups). I also hope to host something like ownCloud.org | Your Cloud, Your Data, Your Way! on my server. On top of that I am hoping to possibly use it to run the occasional minecraft server for my lan network when needed.

So now you know my goals, I do have a few questions. What hardware would be needed to run this? Is linux my best option for OS? How can I set up the time machine backups (I have heard of an issue: drive wiping when it gets full?).

I consulted a friend and we pieced together this layout:
Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 6.48.27 PM.jpg

I then found out that shipping to canada would not be possible and that new egg for canada cost a lot more.

I then decided to buy parts from everywhere (I found many on Ebay). So here is my current list.

Mother Board
Foxconn AM3/AMD 880G/DDR3/A
Foxconn Socket AM3/AMD 880G/DDR3/A and V and GBe/MATX Motherboard A88GMV: Amazon.ca: Electronics

CPU
Athlon II x2 270 @ 67$ + 22$ SH = 89$
AMD ATHLON II X2 270 65W 2BM 3400MH: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Hard Drive
3TB WD Green Caviar Drive (WD30EZRX) @ 135$
Canada Computers | Hard Drives | WD Green (WD30EZRX) 3TB SATA3 6Gb/s 64MB (OEM)

2TB WD Green Caviar Drive (WD20EZRX) @ 105$
WD Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EZRX: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Ram Memory
Corsair 8gb Vengeance White
Amazon.ca: Buying Choices: Corsair 8 GB Vengeance Low Profile PC3-12800 1600Mhz 240-Pin Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit CML8GX3M2A1600C9W (White)
>> Corsair 8 GB Vengeance Low Profile PC3-12800 1600Mhz 240-Pin Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit CML8GX3M2A1600C9W (White): Amazon.ca: Electronics

Power Supply
Corsair Building Series cx4302
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Not sure on case.

--------------

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, if you have any information that would help me please post bellow,

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom