Help with home network

danagol1990

Baseband Member
I have done lots of searching, but have found no suitable fix for the problem I am having. If anyone could provide some insight, I would be very thankful.
A few weeks ago, I upgraded the whole house - each client computer has Windows 7 Pro, and the server now has Server 2008 Standard.
The client computers log on via domain hosted on the server.
All client computers have no issue connecting to the LAN, seeing other computers, or obtaining an IP address.
However. often when a client logs on, they have no internet connection. The network symbol does not show this as an issue, nor is any issue detected when they troubleshoot. Only access to the internet it not present.
This is often fixed by removing, and then reseating the LAN cable at the back of the computers.
After doing this once or twice, internet connection is gained and the system operates perfectly until it is shut down. But of course this is not acceptable on a daily basis!
Client computers have the primary DNS server as the poweedge at 192.168.0.11 and the secondary as the router at 192.168.0.1.
On the server, under DNS, I have 192.168.0.1 and 8.8.8.8 (google) as forwarders.
Does anyone know what is happening to cause the intermittent problem?

Delete the DNS settings saved in the clients. It's really not necessary as the router will assign this to each computer that connects to it

The primary DNS of 192.168.0.1 is not valid. Unless you have one awesome router I doubt it is a DNS server like Google's or your ISPs.

Delete the DNS settings saved in the clients. It's really not necessary as the router will assign this to each computer that connects to it

The primary DNS of 192.168.0.1 is not valid. Unless you have one awesome router I doubt it is a DNS server like Google's or your ISPs.

Thanks for your help. Worked perfectly.
I was under the impression that the server computer had to be in charge of IP addresses for clients to log on, but it seems not!
All of the computers work perfectly now!

Thanks for your help. Worked perfectly.
I was under the impression that the server computer had to be in charge of IP addresses for clients to log on, but it seems not!
All of the computers work perfectly now!

You're right, but you are confusing DNS with DHCP. DNS is what is used to translate urls from text (ie www.google.com) into ip address. Simply put, you'll never have a DNS server on your local network. DHCP is a technology that automatically assigns ip addresses to network devices. It also passes on the DNS info to clients if needed

exactly what celegorm said! do you just use the DHCP server that is built in on your router or do you use a DHCP server on your actual server? ya and also that 192.168.0.1 ip should be your gateway. and also just make sure that you are still pulling the correct DNS for your server as well as the DNS from you ISP. you may still be able to log into you your computers if it isnt correct due to your user accounts are cached in. just a thought :)

Thank you all for the info. You're right! I was getting DHCP confused with DNS.
Since making the changes, not one issue with the network has occurred, and I have been able to concentrate on managing the GPO's and user accounts etc.

thats awesome! i plan on making a home network as well, its fun to set up and gives you some experience! ill be doing it using VMware though.

it is a little confusing, but like i said experience is KEY! i would like to create everything, domain controller, DNS, DHCP, working with VLAN's, PXE boot/SCCM.

Back
Top Bottom