help with hdd and optical drives

Once you set the DVD as first boot you should be fine if the drive is recognised in the bios, the pc has no option but to boot from it.

Hopefully it's just a cable/plug issue. I've pulled a middle pug off a cable by using too much force before, they are susceptable to damage from pulling on the cable to disengage the plug from the drive.

just switched ide cables, and it is still saying that in bios... still same results as the cd rw is still in secondary slave in bios, but that's it

dont quit on me now guys :[

Mmmmm, this is weird.
Scratchin my head now, it's like the bios doesn't like two drives on a channel?

have you reset the bios to default settings?

I'm going to reread what you've tried so far, see if I missed something

is there a way i could have like hdd and an optical on a channel, then the other drive on a channel?

if that's possible i can try it, or is it not possible or bad cons?

Theoretically the HDD will be slowed to the Data transfer rate of the ROM drive, it was never recommended for that reason, it can't actually hurt anything, give it a try.

when i do it like hdd-master, dvd rom-master, and cd rw-slave in the bios it shows a drive as master primary, slave primary, and it shows the cd rw as secondary slave...
You've had it set like that already haven't you?

Yea, you can do it that way with an optical as slave with the HDD. I've never had any trouble or slowdowns doing it that way.

Yea, you can do it that way with an optical as slave with the HDD. I've never had any trouble or slowdowns doing it that way.
Same, which is why I put "theoretically", in real world terms I think the average user wouldn't even notice.

@ BamaFan, you are certain the jumpers are set correctly yes? I know some of my WD ide drives have a master and master with slave option which won't show unless properly set up

well nvm, i just talked to my mom, and she is just going to use the cd rw right now, and then she is going to buy a cd rw/dvd rom drive next week

@a true folder:

the hdd have these settings, ds (master), cs enabled, cap limit, ds (slave), and spare

The drives are cheap enough but that would drive me batty not having fixed the problem, I would be at it like a dog with a bone until it was resolved.

The setup I quoted above where one optical is secondary slave should work fine, from what I gather your only problem with it was the secondary channel drive was slave and not master which should make no difference, you should still be able to boot from the optical even if it is slave.

Back
Top Bottom