Help with databases

Dodgyknacker

Solid State Member
I Know html and basic css even though I still cant het a 3 column layout I would like to learn how to make my website more interactive with forum like comments I imagine that for this I need to know mySQL and PHP or some other scripting language, where do I go from here I want my pages to be more dynamic with less static pages like for example a news site, all tips are welcome - Thanks

thats where blogs, forums come in. IF your not so skilled yet..dont bother..just get some webspace and use provided scripts!

You can get templates for these types of things. Xoops I think is a Portal Template which uses Modules and Databases to get complete Dynamic Pages. Forums, like this, everybody uses templates for (all the ones with sense) - and unless you plan on making your own Forum then its probably best to use phpBB which is free, or this which is vBulletin which is around £40 for a year. There are some ASPX Forums around, ASPPlayground for instance is a £120 one of fee - but you'll need far superior hosting to that of the PHP Boards.

You can read books for PHP learning - and eventually would will pick up Database and Dynamic uses for them.

If you can't get a three column layout though... you should learn more HTML before you get into PHP.

you don't necessarily need a database to make a site dynamic. you could use an xml file or other single file source to store information...

I have a built in Cpanel that allows you to manipulate an SQL database through HTML. You don't need to know any coding..

I also have snippets of code that I can send to you to get you started programming some of your own dynamic content...

Back
Top Bottom