Help with Chkdsk

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveppeters

In Runtime
I am running Windows XP Home on my comp and also have Norton Systemworks 2002. After various crashes/freezes (I thought XP was supposed to be stable and crash-free!) I ran Norton Disk Doctor to check for problems. It says that there are errors in the volume bitmap. I checked the fix errors button and restarted my computer (according to Symantec's website, this just tells the system to run "chkdsk /f" at the next boot-up). When I restart, it posts, then shows the XP logo, then goes to a black screen. It sits here for about a minute then reboots (I assume because the operating system failed to load properly). Anyway, I have also tried running chkdsk from the run command - same story - black screen then reboots and I still have the volume bitmap error. How do I get the system to run chkdsk and repair the errors?! I even tried booting off the Windows CD and running the repair console - but it won't allow the /f switch on chkdsk! I really want to correct the errors (and get ahold of Bill Gates - one to one...). Any help would be appreciated.

Max Paws

Baseband Member
Have you tried chkdsk /x /f
The /x will force a dismount which is the only way you can get the to the volume to fix any bad sectors. Now there's a /r option which supposedly "recovers" lost data on sectors, but I haven't tried it.

daveppeters

In Runtime
Yes, I can boot into safe mode, and I tried "chkdsk /x /f", but it says the same thing - "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts" I choose yes and reboot - always the same story. I reboot - the windows logo appears then a black screen for about a minute - then the system usually reboots (sometimes I have to hit the reset button) like normal - but it never runs chkdsk. Norton Utilities still says there is an error with the volume bitmap (listed under "security descriptors"). Any other ideas?

Ecniv

<a href="http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f109/foldin
Boot to the XP cd, and instead of running the repair console, choose install, then select the partition and hit R for repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.